Author Topic: Edgar's from scotland  (Read 2841 times)

Offline Mags Breslin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Edgar's from scotland
« on: Tuesday 13 October 15 19:43 BST (UK) »
I'm searching for my mom's history. She was born in scotland in 1958 her mother's name was Jamesina Edgar born 1928, her father was Thomas Peter Edgar, I have no date of birth for him. Any information would be a great help. Would love find some history for my mom. Thanks.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edgar's from scotland
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 20:06 BST (UK) »
Hello & welcome to rootschat

Assuming that Thomas & Jamesina are both Scottish you could try looking for information on here http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Your mother's birth certificate should give her mother's maiden name,
then you could look for Thomas' marriage to Jamesina and that should provide you with
both their father's names & occupations. It may also give their ages or just say full age.

As her mother was born 1928 she's not going to be on any census records with her parents and that might also apply to her father if he was born around the same time.

Added forgot to say once registered you can search for free but you will
need to buy credits to view details

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 20:25 BST (UK) »
As Ladyhawk has said -- you will need to go to Scotlands People website.

You can search for free -- but to view anything you will need to purchase units.

I can tell you that there was a Jamesina Currie Edgar born in 1928 in Kilmarnock District. Your Mum should have her birth certificate - but if not you can order it from that site.

It will give you both her parents names. However as you get further back in time with your research - you will be able to view the certificates on line (for events from 1855).
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 20:27 BST (UK) »
Hi there and welcome from me too  :)

You need to go stage by stage on records really, trying to confirm your details along the way.

The initial period you are looking at is outside the window you can look at the image online on the website mentioned by Ladyhawk.

You have her mother's details clearly - Jamesina Edgar born 1928. I can see that birth on the general searches on SP.

Cannot see a marriage in Scotland for a Jamesina Edgar to a Thomas in Scotland after 1940  :-\ Nor a marriage for a Thomas Edgar to a Jam*s* either around this time. Have you got your mother's birth cert from 1958?

There are three possible marriage showing for a Jam*s* Edgar in Scotland post 1940:

Jamisie to a Hayward in 1950 in Dumfries
Jamesina to a Murdoch in 1963 in Johnstone
Jamesina to a Greenan in 1985 in Irvine (too late likely?)

However...the only birth I can see in 1928 is for a Jamesina Currie Edgar born in Ayrshire. She died the following year in 1929.

Trying to help.Likely we need to start for sure from your mother's birth and marriage certs to see what they say. We are quite current with events. We just need to make sure we do not discuss living people as we like them confirmed deceased here on RC  ::) ;)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mags Breslin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 22:17 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your fast replys. My Grandmother was Jamesina Mcalpine born September 19th 1928. She never married my mother's father. She did however marry a man called Matthew Watson. I got this infomation off my grandmothers birth certificate. She lived on George Street Glasgow i think?

Offline Mags Breslin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 22:18 BST (UK) »
I did find her death which was 1993, in Birmingham. I'm a little confused because her death certificate says Edgar. Hmm

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 22:20 BST (UK) »
Edgar on her death cert in 1993 showed as what type of surname? Married or maiden surname?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 22:22 BST (UK) »
Have you got Jamesina Mcalpine born September 19th 1928 birth cert? See you have posted this www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=732890.0

You need that 1928 birth cert to confirm her details really. Do you have this?

Monica

Offline Mags Breslin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 October 15 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica :)

Yeah my mom has the birth certificate. I got all the infomation off that. Also shows my grandmother married a man named Matthew Watson in 1948.