Author Topic: Nicoll family possibly Aberdeenshire  (Read 4930 times)

Offline Mollyrobz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nicoll family possibly Aberdeenshire
« on: Thursday 15 October 15 18:08 BST (UK) »
Does anybody have any information on William Nicoll and Mary Watson, they had a daughter named Ann Ramsay Nicol who married William Bruce and they had a daughter named Annie Nicol Bruce.
Would love to hear from you Molly

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Nicoll family possibly Aberdeenshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 October 15 18:46 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the 2 anc trees on the family ? - if this is not your - would give a contact.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 October 15 19:28 BST (UK) »
The more information we give - the better chance you have of a relative pickig this thread up on google and being directed here -

Leuchars Village Leuchars Fife 1901

Robert Haggart  28 Born 1873 - Auchtermuchty, fifeshire. Blacksmith. Journeyman.
Annie Haggart  28 Born 1873 Hillside, Forfarshire.
Martin Haggart  7 David Haggart  5
Jennie Haggart  3 Charles Haggart  1

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 October 15 19:37 BST (UK) »
There is a British Army W1 Pension Record for David Nichol Bruce Haggart born 1894 Brechins, Forfarshire. Aged 20 years and 1 month.  Year 6 October 1914 - Regiment  Lancers of the Line  Regiment Number -4385 - Trade was sailor. Scar on the back of right hand. Tatoo various devices both arms.
Fresh complexion. Hazel Eyes. Brown Hair. C of E. Discharged 21-4-1915 - having been sentenced at Winchester Quarter Sessions for theft.

Sandra

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 15 October 15 19:42 BST (UK) »

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 October 15 02:49 BST (UK) »
It looks like Mary Watson and William Nicoll were not married.   It was quite common in Scotland for an illegitimate child to grow up with their fathers surname and their daughter Ann appears to be the only child. 

When Ann married she names both as her parents and William's occupation is given as 'Gold Digger'.   Since the 'Gold Rush' in the US started in 1848 and in Australia in late 1850 I suspect William Nicoll was one of the thousands who went to try his luck in one of the 2 countries presumably never to return to Scotland.   

Mary Watson (bc.1825 Fordoun) is shown as unmarried on both 1851 and 1871 census (living with married daughter 1871) and I think she died 20/8/1878 in the Poorhouse, Stonehaven of 'Disease of the Heart' - again, shown as a single woman.   This shows her parents as David Watson and Catherine Skene.

Her parents married 15/12/1821 Fordoun, Kincardineshire - a son James born 1822 (familysearch) and Mary b.15/4/1824, bp.25/4/1824 Fordoun (familysearch).

I think William Nicoll will remain an enigma - since he appears to have already gone digging for gold by 1851 nothing is known about him - not his age or where he came from.

Why do you think that William Nicoll may have originated in Aberdeenshire?   Certainly both Mary Watson and their daughter Ann were born in and lived in Kincardineshire all their lives.     

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mollyrobz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 October 15 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody, I'd just like to say thank you for this info. I've found it so interesting. Hearing that David Nicol Bruce Haggart had been to prison and reading the description of him painted quite the picture! He is my great great grandad. And reading about William Nicol possibly heading off to join the gold rush, I have seen a copy of the certificate where it says 'gold digger' but I never put two and two together. I'm wondering if maybe I could take some of the other lines back further maybe I could try and use some of the middle names used by the children of William Bruce and Ann Ramsay Nicol to maybe find out who William Nicol was? It might work  ;D
Molly

Offline Mollyrobz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 November 15 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Annette,
Was Ann R Nicol who married William Bruce born in Fetteresso?
There was a William Nicol born 8/1/1818 Feteresso to Thomas Nicol and Rebecca Napier. Birth fits in roughly with Anns mums birth year. Could be a possible candidate?
Molly

Offline Mollyrobz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 29 February 16 21:39 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if Catharine Skene was the dau of Nathaniel Skene and Margaret Murray, born 1795 Fordoun?

Ann Ramsay Nicol did have a dau named Mary MURRAY Bruce, could it of came from there? It would've been her great grandmothers surname ???

Molly