Author Topic: No Tree on Ancestry, yet I've just been contacted by someone!!  (Read 6301 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: No Tree on Ancestry, yet I've just been contacted by someone!!
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 17 October 15 11:55 BST (UK) »
I've clarified that the middle name of my ancestor as shown on Familysearch is wrong as I have marriage and death certificates for my ancestor, plus birth and marriage certs of his children all showing the correct spelling.  I've not had an acknowledgement yet.  If, as I suspect, the person who contacted me is a professional researcher, then I don't expect to hear from him again until after the weekend.

Lizzie

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 17 October 15 12:47 BST (UK) »
Not sure why the other person can't reply to your response on Ancestry. I don't have a tree on there either, but can exchange private messages with other users.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 17 October 15 13:08 BST (UK) »
My guess is he doesn't have a tree on there either.  His comment when he contacted me via GR stated

"You had made an amendment to a census transcription on Ancestry which gave me your address.
Could not reply to your reply through ancestry so am using GR".

I've just been on to Ancestry and did a random search to find a name that had been corrected.  I clicked on View/Add alternative information (if no-one has added alternative information it just states Add) and it gave me the name of the person who had submitted the info (well probably the name the person uses on Ancestry).  Clicking on the name brings up the person's profile and their interests - presumably if they've added anything - but also a box to click to contact the person.

I'm surprised that having contacted me that way, he couldn't then reply to my answer.  Perhaps something to do with neither of us having a tree on Ancestry.

Lizzie

ps.  Just found one of the corrections I did.  Not only was the surname transcribed wrong, the place of birth which should have been Boston was mistranscribed as Preston (Lincolnshire!!).  In my correction about the name, I also mentioned that although I didn't think they corrected place names, the place of birth should be Boston, and not Preston.  Much to my surprise there is also a correction for this.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 17 October 15 17:44 BST (UK) »
Surely you don't need a tree on Ancestry to be able to contact anyone - just a subscription? Perhaps he isn't a professional researcher but uses the library edition and that is why he couldn't contact you?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 17 October 15 21:44 BST (UK) »
Groom - he contacted me via Ancestry originally, so it's a bit surprising that he couldn't then respond via Ancestry to my reply to him.  I've not heard from him since I confirmed the middle name of my ancestor which had been spelt wrongly in the parish records of his baptism.

Offline Colin_Hussey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hello Lizzie,

I think I am related to "John Frederick William Alden" how can I get in contact with you?
I think he had a son called "Charles Frederick Alden" born 1905 Sculcoates Yorkshire.

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 22:24 BST (UK) »
Colin - make one more post, and you'll be able to use the personal message system  - the little document icon under your name.
Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 May 17 23:37 BST (UK) »
I.d be thrilled if someone contacted me on ancestry ..I chose that site because I thought more people used it.But message box remains closed .....i can't even tell if  mails  sent by me have been read.

I.m glad you worked out how the contact was made

I have contacted people on there about their trees showing living relatives....!
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson