Author Topic: Thomas Wayman 1828  (Read 1146 times)

Offline bobtonks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Thomas Wayman 1828
« on: Saturday 17 October 15 16:46 BST (UK) »
Thomas Wayman was convicted in March 1828 at Cambridge. Although the newspapers reported a verdict of guilty- death - there is a record of a Thomas Wayman on the ship The Lord Melville sailing for NSW 14th November 1828 .
Can anyone see any records of him in Australia?

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Wayman 1828
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 17 October 15 19:40 BST (UK) »
Hi,

His sentence, along with the other males committed to death at Cambridge on same day, was obviously commuted to life.

You need to search Trove for "Thomas Wayman"  do not apply dates, select oldest first:-

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/result?q=%22Thomas+Wayman%22&sortby=dateAsc

There are a number of reports i.e:-

29th January 1838
Thomas Wayman was ordered to receive 50 lashes, and his sentence extended 12 months,
for absconding.

Problem will be deciding which is your Thomas.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 17 October 15 20:59 BST (UK) »
Thomas Wayman New South Wales Convict indents arriving on Lord Melville 6th May 1829, Sydney Cove:

Thomas age 19, occupation kitchen gardener. Convicted Cambridge 13th March 1828 for house breaking. He was 5ft 4", ruddy complexion, brown hair, hazel eyes. Looks like he was going to work for a William Lawson at Prospect.

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 17 October 15 21:02 BST (UK) »
Got his ticket of leave 15th August 1837, Bathurst. Prisoner number: 29/927

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 17 October 15 21:06 BST (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 October 15 21:53 BST (UK) »
It appears he didn't enjoy his freedom for long. There is only one Thomas Wayman entry in the NSW death index.
https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search/result?2
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline bobtonks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 October 15 09:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your help. It's odd that there is only one record in deaths (NSW) for Thomas Wayman (although I did find a Thomas Wyman 1859) when there are numerous records to be found in the newspapers. ( ref. found  in NSW, Victoria and Tasmania)
Up to his 'Ticket of Leave" in 1837 the records of Thomas look solid, but after that it's probably all guess work.
I am compiling a small book on the history of my village (two villages in fact) Histon and Impington, near Cambridge using extracts from the local newspaper of the time, The Cambridge Chronicle. The period I am covering is c1770 till 1851. Most of the information is relatively standard small town news; births, marriages, deaths, - sale of land, farms, livestock etc - reports of fires, accidents and felonies. So, being able to add a small footnote to the story of Thomas is quite nice.
Thank you again.
Bob

FTR. Impington Hall was the family home of the Pepys family up to 1805. Talbot Pepys (1583-1666) was the Great Uncle of the diarist Samuel Pepys.