Author Topic: GRO Indexes  (Read 4971 times)

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: GRO Indexes
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 08:34 BST (UK) »
Since the new data is obviously on a computer somewhere, I'm surprised they don't put it on a server, and give every library and council office in the country secure access to it.

In 2015, the solution to national data distribution should not centre of where we put limited copies of microfilm... !!

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 09:03 BST (UK) »
Ancestry have a limited amount of more recent deaths,my mum's from 2009 is on there.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 09:04 BST (UK) »
The post 2007 death index on ancestry isn't from the GRO, it was apparently collated by some market research company based on newspaper obituaries, returns from Funeral Directors, etc.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 09:19 BST (UK) »
People seem to forget (?) that at one time the full set of data was only available at the London FRC.

The National Archives used to have a 'full' set of fiche (after the demise of the FRC) as did the London Metropolitan Archives. The set from the LMA was withdrawn at their request and sent to the British Library.

The locations are determined on a geographical basis.

Yes the information is on a computer and a few companies who meet very strict criteria are eligible to access the death registration data on payment of a very hefty annual fee

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/disclosure-of-death-registration-information-how-to-apply/disclosure-of-death-registration-information

The provision of 7 sets of microfiche is cheaper than maintaining the indexes online for a very limited number of users.

I'm currently at Westminster Archives and frequently the British Library but the GRO microfiche get very few visitors on a daily basis. I can't comment on the usage at other sites but I imagine it is the same.

Probate genealogists pop in daily and do a few look-ups then leave, family historians sometimes use the fiche but they are generally looking for more historic records which can be found online.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Heb66

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 09:22 BST (UK) »
I agree Dawnish re The Family Records Centre what great days out they were !! I have PM you re the research . Regards Helen x
Payne, Woodchester Glos / Kings Norton Worcs.
Luker, Glos.
Davis, Smith, Evans, Lockstone,Latham, Kings Stanley.
Bingham; Stroud, Glos.
Gore: Glos/ Plymouth.
Rodway: Woodchester, Glos. Wanted Henry Rodway born 1849. Missing since 1881.
Morgan: Nettleton Wilts / Stroud Glos.

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 09:29 BST (UK) »
Having the only full set of GRO index fiche for miles around must place quite a burden on the institutions concerned. It might increase visitor numbers, but if the GRO fiche are heavily used they have to keep and maintain the microfiche readers (old technology - getting harder to obtain spare parts). and anyone who has ever had to keep a large collection of microfiche tidy and in order will know what a headache that can be! The Great British Public had enough trouble putting big, clearly-labelled book back in the right order at St Catherine's House and the FRC, I don't rate their (our) chances with the fiche! If they are not heavily-used they will be taking up precious space that could be put to better use. I don't know what the arrangements are, but if I were in charge of an archive or library I don't think I'd want the GRO Index fiche. At the very least I'd want the GRO to pay me, not the other way around!

Bugbear has the right idea - distributing multiple sets of microfiche and sending out updates is so last century.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 09:45 BST (UK) »
The 'regular' users of the gro fiche at the British Library and Westminster keep them in order.

New visitors at the British Library are encouraged to mark where they have taken a fiche out. Westminster archives has a set of marker cards you can slot into the relevant place. The BL had a set of cards but they went walkies over a short period of time and weren't replaced.

The GRO has provided Westminster with a tall large filing caninet for the fiche, British Library has 3 smaller cabinets.

Westminster has 4 dedicated readers which came out of Hammersmith Archives and the British Library has 2 readers which regularly need maintenance because of the heavy handed nature of some inexperienced users. The British Library has access to a number of readers around the building.

The fiche at the BL are tucked away in a corner under a staircase in social sciences and don't get in the way of anyone or anything else.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 09:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that, Dawnsh, useful to know.

Offline Heb66

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 October 15 19:21 BST (UK) »
Dawnish.... I have sent you an updated personal message. Thank you your a star !! x
Payne, Woodchester Glos / Kings Norton Worcs.
Luker, Glos.
Davis, Smith, Evans, Lockstone,Latham, Kings Stanley.
Bingham; Stroud, Glos.
Gore: Glos/ Plymouth.
Rodway: Woodchester, Glos. Wanted Henry Rodway born 1849. Missing since 1881.
Morgan: Nettleton Wilts / Stroud Glos.