Author Topic: Medals Issued to Merchant Seamen  (Read 1232 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Medals Issued to Merchant Seamen
« on: Thursday 22 October 15 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi

Not sure if I am posting this in the right place so feel free to move it if is's not ;)

I have found  a medal card that I think is  for my grandfather as a merchant seaman during WWII:

Name:   Charles Tyne
Birth Date:   7 Dec 1914
Service:   1939-1945
Medal Issued/Claimed:   1946-2002
Discharge Number:   S.44487

I have followed the link to TNA but it doesn't give much more info.  There is the option to "add to cart"  is there more information on the card itself that would confirm that it is in fact his as there is a two year difference in the year of birth although the date is the same.

Is there a record of Merchant Seamen who served in WWII somewhere on line. I have tried all the usual site FindMyPast etc.

Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Medals Issued to Merchant Seamen
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 October 15 20:23 BST (UK) »
TNA series BT395  lists him as Tyne, Charles William Beecham,  Dis A number S44487 born 7/Dec/1914. I think the name Charles William Beecham would be fairly unique. Can you not make a positive ID from this? I do not have Ancestry, so cannot comment but I doubt TNA  medal  records would give you anything more than you have. Do you know what medals he was listed with?

No WW2 Merchant Navy personal records are available on line as far as I know. I checked for his seaman's pouch in BT372 and it appears that it has been lost or destroyed.

If you wish to know what ships he served on with dates and places of engagement and discharge. You need to look in the series BT382 for his form CRS 10. If  any where it should be here
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_st=adv&_cr1=bt382%2F1838&_dss=range&_ro=any

see https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C15680

You would need to visit TNA or appoint a  researcher to look for you.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Medals Issued to Merchant Seamen
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 October 15 20:25 BST (UK) »
The medal card will not give you any further identification information other than his Discharge Book number S 44487.

His service record - CRS 10 - if it has survived, should be held at the National Archives, Kew in piece BT 382/1838
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C10990063 Best viewed by visit or via researcher as it is held in surname block order of multiple names and as such is classed as research by Kew who would charge you accordingly.

Regards
Hugh

*edit" looks like SW and I were posting at the same time - glad we agree on your course of action.
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Medals Issued to Merchant Seamen - Completed
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 October 15 08:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replies

I do think it is him as "Charles William" appears regularly throughout the tree as well as the "Beecham" added to various male lines.  It was just the discrepancy in the birth year of 2 years making him two years younger than I had on record.

As I am in South Africa a visit is not possible and the expense of a researcher not justified if there is not much more information to be found

Thanks once again :)
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)