Author Topic: SOUTHSEA - Electoral roll late 40s / 50s  (Read 5599 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
SOUTHSEA - Electoral roll late 40s / 50s
« on: Thursday 22 October 15 14:17 BST (UK) »
I'm pleased to have come across a photograph of a relative I have so far failed to trace. FREDERICK (or FRED or FREDDY) HORSFALL, born 1888, after his discharge from RM Artillery lived at 38 [?] WIMBOURNE ROAD, SOUTHSEA. I think his wife's name was Constance Isabella (formerly Williams), and to the best of my limited knowledge I think the couple were childless. 

I can not find the date / place of Frederick's death. I would be most grateful if someone with ready access to the Electoral Roll for Southsea could find out when Frederick and Isabella ceased to be listed at that address.

The photograph is not easy to date: Frederick was 51 on his discharge, and in the photo he looks to be in his later 50s. If anyone seeing this posting can suggest any other strategies to discover more about this person, who was my father's maternal uncle, I'd be thankful as I've come to a dead end for the moment.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: SOUTHSEA - Electoral roll late 40s / 50s
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 October 15 14:45 BST (UK) »
Do you have his marriage  :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 October 15 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, Rosie99. From FreeBmd I have the marriage at Portsmouth, 1919 (the surname spelling listed as 'Horsfal')

Also in FreeBMD there is a ‘Fred T Horsfall’ death in Portsmouth, March Q, 1969, aged 87 (so born c. 1882, whereas my grandmother’s brother was born 1888, and as far as I know had no middle initial] I suppose this might be 'my' Fred, despite the two anomalies. Death certs can contain faulty information, especially if, at the time of death, the deceased had no available kin.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 October 15 15:09 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the marriage link   ;D

That death ties in with Fred Tatley Horsfall bn 1882 datewise but I am not discounting it yet.  I wish he had left a will.

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 October 15 16:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Rosie99 – just to say that the name 'Tatley' has no meaning in the context of my Horsfall family; sounds like a mother's maiden name given as a middle name; Frederick's mother's maiden name was Hoyle.

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 October 15 11:34 BST (UK) »
I'd like to thank you, Rosie99 for taking an interest in my search for more information on my grandmother's brother. For now, I suppose, his date of death must remain a mystery. As you say, it would be unwise completely to rule out the 'Fred Tatley Horsfall' death you mentioned, though it seems unlikely - probably a matter of obtaining FTH's death cert., to see if there are any telling details.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 October 15 11:52 BST (UK) »
I am not convinced about Fred T' s death and wouldn't be spending £9.25 yet  :-\  Don't forget the 1939 registration is due out any time now.....

I see that his wife was just indexed as Isabella Williams, where does the Constance come from.

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 October 15 12:02 BST (UK) »
Fred H enlisted in the Royal Marine Artillery 5 February 1907 [# 211927]. Married in Portsmouth, 1919. On his service record his next of kin was his mother. This was later crossed through and ‘wife’ inserted: the address given was The School House, Wokingham; that too was crossed through and 207 Westfield Road, Portsmouth added. On discharge, the Wimbourne Road address was recorded. It's a while since I started my research into Fred, but I'm fairly sure I got the 'Constance' part of her name from the census. In the 1911 census Isabella is listed  as a shop assistant living with her widowed mother 16 Victory Road, Portsea.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 October 15 12:34 BST (UK) »
I had presumed that the one you found in 1911 married in 1912  :-\

December qtr 1912   
Frederick S Hill   
Constance I Williams - spouse  Hill   
Portsmouth reg dist    2b   1109