Author Topic: High Kirk Graveyard in Glasgow- grave index/location completed?  (Read 4495 times)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
High Kirk Graveyard in Glasgow- grave index/location completed?
« on: Friday 23 October 15 02:31 BST (UK) »
A few years ago I believe that the Glasgow and WSFHS were developing an index and summary of prominent family graves in the High Kirk cemetery.  I know there is an index to burials there but wasn't there another project in the works? Was it ever completed?

Offline petbro

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Not Forgotten' by Angela Byrne
    • View Profile
Re: High Kirk Graveyard in Glasgow- grave index/location completed?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 October 15 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Do you mean the one being completed by the Glasgow City Archives? I've been trying to track down some burials in Glasgow so contacted them. This is part of the email reply I got from GCA:

The burial records for Glasgow have been part of a digitisation project, with a view to them being made available online. I am pleased to let you know that the digitisation is now complete, although the original records have yet to be transferred to Glasgow City Archives or made available online. However, we have been given copies of the digital images of the registers and we are now in the process of responding to the large number of enquiries we received during the period of digitisation.

They can do a search but at cost. I believe it's £10 per burial search. (I've decided to wait for online publication).
HERON-CUDDEFORD  TAYLOR-WILKINS  BROWNE-O'BRIEN BROWNE-RYAN

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 14:21 GMT (UK) »
petbro, have they given any assurances/info that the online access will be for free?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 20:30 GMT (UK) »
Oh Monica - you do make me giggle sometimes!  Free?  Free?

I VERY much doubt it!

Anne  ;D

P.S. This 'process' has been going on for years and years and (to my knowledge) nothing is any further forward. It must be at least 3 years since I heard the digitization of all the registers had been completed.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 October 15 20:36 GMT (UK) »
You know me, Anne... ::) Had to ask...

petbro, ignore us. Just had to ask really. Glasgow City burial searches were running at over £60 last time I saw. I am delighted at what they are doing, just wondering on the pricing policy and access they have arrived at going forward really.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 October 15 00:14 GMT (UK) »
There already exists a High Church burial index and I received information for my ancestors buried there, on this forum, a few years ago. But the Glasgow & WSFHS had a project (perhaps now in conjunction with the Glasgow City Archives?) listed on their website a couple of years ago locating burials/plots in the graveyard and doing a small written summary on the prominent families buried there.  Or am I dreaming?  Did this project disappear? A member of GWSFHS would surely know what I am talking about (meaning that I hope someone in this forum is a member; if not, I will email the Society directly).

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 October 15 10:23 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of the wee book 'Glasgow Cathedral New Burying Ground' (Monumental Inscriptions and Lairs Owners) which also includes St. Mungo's (or High Kirk's) Burial Ground Lair Owners. (Published by G&WSFHS 2004). I think this might be what's being discussed?

The section on St, Mungo's/High Kirk, is a simple list and includes the name of the Lair Owner, their place of residence, sometimes an occupation, the lair number and the date of purchase (no burials).

The 'New' Burying Ground part of the book contains much more information.

I'm happy to do look-ups!

Anne  :)

Offline lanarman

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 November 15 11:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Anne.  I have sent you a PM.  I should clarify that it is the older, ancient, pre- 1800 burials that was (I think) the focus of the Glasgow &WSFHS project. But it must have been cancelled.  I have 16 burials for my family (all in the 1700's) from the index given to me by capricorn in 2009 and then most of the same burials I have from SP. I'll send an email to G & WSFHS to see what became of the project for the older lairs.

Offline amberdog

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 27 February 16 16:51 GMT (UK) »
I have a copy of the wee book 'Glasgow Cathedral New Burying Ground' (Monumental Inscriptions and Lairs Owners) which also includes St. Mungo's (or High Kirk's) Burial Ground Lair Owners. (Published by G&WSFHS 2004). I think this might be what's being discussed?

The section on St, Mungo's/High Kirk, is a simple list and includes the name of the Lair Owner, their place of residence, sometimes an occupation, the lair number and the date of purchase (no burials).

The 'New' Burying Ground part of the book contains much more information.

I'm happy to do look-ups!

Anne  :)

Hi Anne, 

Could I ask if you have a record of a plot in the High Church burials for a Robert Gilmour, who died 1825, a Master Flesher (or butcher).  From later burials it states the plot number was 118, Wall C.

Robert's my gx4 grandfather.  I'd really appreciate your help.
Regards
Maria