Author Topic: McConnell in County Donegal  (Read 3131 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McConnell in County Donegal
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 October 15 14:59 GMT (UK) »
My aunt, Etta,  went to the archives in Halifax and there she got information that the family was taken off a shipwreck with a few children. I haven't been able to find the ship but perhaps that's because it wasn't an actual wreck.  There were two sisters with them, Sarah and Jane McConnell.  She thought they might be sisters of Duncan.  The account my aunt left said that Sarah and Jane were with their aunt and uncle and were bound for USA to join relatives.  Jane married a Jacob Ulhman from Chelsea, son of Mr. Ulhman and Mary Baker (I am also related to the Baker's).
Sarah McConnell married a William Dexter. Sarah was born near Donegal in 1830 and died June 14, 1899.

If Duncan was born c1797 then Sarah and Jane were unlikely to be siblings. Daughters? from previous marriage?, nieces? cousins?

There were never, as far as I know, many McConnell families in the area. Would the Randall Library in Liverpool have any archives worth following up on? Unfortunately Simeon Perkins' diary is too early.

Wonder if any clues in trying to trace the grandmother mentioned in Sarah McConnell's page in TBS's notes?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ncarmb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 October 15 13:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm still looking for the grandmother.  No luck yet.  There are so many McConnells in Ontario and I don't know her name.  I think that the Emma Jane McConnell who married Jacob Ulhman is unlikely to be Sarah's sister Jane.  Emma Jane was married in 1874 at age 23.  That would make her born in 1851, much to late to have come from Ireland with Sarah who was born in 1830. I will have to look elsewhere for that Jane. I think the McConnells in my family probably came after 1839, depending on whether Hanna was born in 1839 in Ireland or in NS. I have reports giving both.  Sigh.  The only thing I do know for sure is that Bernard was born in Ireland in 1833.  I've gone through so many ships lists my eyes are crossed.    :D

Offline ncarmb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 October 15 13:57 GMT (UK) »
another note....  There are a lot of McConnell's in the Yarmouth area.  I don't know too much about where they came from so I am going to try and check that out as well in case there is a connection there.