Author Topic: Riley/Flood Family in Ireland c1870s, please?  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Riley/Flood Family in Ireland c1870s, please?
« on: Sunday 25 October 15 20:06 GMT (UK) »
I've been trying to find my husband's ancestor's sister (Jane), in hope of finding out more about their parents.  Family information states:
Jane Flood, possibly born c1840 in County Clare or County Cavan, married a Billy Riley.  They had the following children: John.  Joseph.  William.  Catherine.  Margaret.  I don't know any birthplaces for Mr. Riley nor for the children, nor do I have dates of birth.   :'(

We've (wonderful RootsChatters and I) searched extensively in Scotland for the marriage and births but cannot find the family nor can I find them on any Scottish census returns.  We are wondering if Jane may have returned to Ireland at some point (possibly prior to her marriage to Mr. Riley)?  Supposedly, Jane turned down an offer of marriage by one man, to marry Billy Riley.  The other man married Jane's sister mid-1869, in Dundee, Scotland.  I believe she married Mr. Riley/Reilly prior to her sister's marriage.

Jane's sister and husband used to send money back to Jane as she and her family were apparently not well-off.  Any suggestions of where I may search for the family would be very appreciated.  Thank you for reading this thread.  Lisa

Lengthy thread about Jane's sister and husband:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=703234.0
[I've posted several threads about the Tierneys   :-[ - I'm hoping to eventually find Jane Flood Riley in Scotland or Ireland]

PS  Jane may have also been known as Jean.
A marriage was found for a Jane Flood and William Raliegh but that occurred in 1870 in Limerick.  [My husband's family believes she was married by 1869.]
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Riley/Flood Family in Ireland c1870s, please?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 October 15 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi There

Can you attach the link to where you've had previous help with Jane !

Thanks

Tara

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 October 15 20:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tara:

Thank you for your reply.  The most recent link I've attached (I hope it works).  I can gather all of the other links (I've been trying to think of every angle to find out more about the Tierney/Flood families).   :-[

Thank you again for your interest.  I will find the one thread that has all of the links listed.

PS  I'll also find the page on the mentioned thread that has information about Jane.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 October 15 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Copied from the thread:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=703234.9

1851 Dundee Census
Bean Carty 61 (female) Lodging Housekeeper b. Ireland
John Carty 22
James Carty 18
Patrick Fergurson 19
Jean Fergurson 18
Peter Maughan 45
Nancy Maughan 30
John Flood 18 lodger, millworker b. Ireland
Margret Flood 16 lodger, millworker b. Ireland
Jean Flood 11 lodger, millworker b. Ireland

Helen Duncan 21
Flora Mcintosh 45

About two weeks ago, I received papers from a relative that state that Margaret Flood's sister was named Jane and apparently they had a brother as well.  The above census could be for my husband's ancestor, Margaret and her siblings.  Margaret was born in County Cavan or County Clare, c1834.  Her parents were either Mark or James Flood and Jane Duffy.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 October 15 20:33 GMT (UK) »
I can see that there has been a lot of work done on these branches and going off in different tangents.

Can I just start with which Flood person is your direct line ?

Tara

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 October 15 20:35 GMT (UK) »
I think the link I posted is actually the only one pertaining to Margaret's sister, Jane, as I just found out her name.  (In the past, I was looking for Margaret and her husband's family.)

There is a chance that the John Flood above married a Mary Gilligan/Galligan in 1854 in Dundee, Scotland.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=703234.36
Replies 43 and 44 (page 5) are summaries of findings with pages 6 and 7 having a bit more information.  I apologize for the lengthy threads.   :'(

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 25 October 15 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tara:

Margaret Flood is my husband's direct ancestor.  I will summarize her information in a second - a lot of research has been done about her and I wouldn't want to duplicate any efforts.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 25 October 15 20:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi

No, please don't type anything up.

My next question is, what were her parents names and what PROOF do you have re this ?

Tara

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 October 15 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tara:

A RootsChatter found a marriage document stating Margaret's father was Mark Flood (occupation wheelwright) and Jane Duffy.  Both were deceased by the time of the Margaret's marriage.

I have a document:
...proclamation of banns married by ...witnesses were Michael Clarke and Elizabeth Flood.  dated May 17 1869.

My husband's great aunt researched the family 20 to 40 years ago (I don't know when she started nor when she finished).  I believe it is from her notes that state:
"...He met and married Margaret Flood whose parents were Jane Duffy/Duffie and James Flood."
This relative did travel to Ireland at one point to research.

(In 1870, Margaret and Patrick lived in New York with two Duffy women.)