Author Topic: Riley/Flood Family in Ireland c1870s, please?  (Read 1713 times)

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Riley/Flood Family in Ireland c1870s, please?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 October 15 21:01 GMT (UK) »
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=434955.0
From Joy's post in 2010:
Patick Tierney and Margaret Flood were married 17 May 1869 according to the rites of the Roman Catholic Church. They were both of the same address - 22 Blackness st Dundee and were married at St Peters.

Margaret was a spinner in a jute mill spinster 35 yrs and Patrick was 31 yrs and some kind of labourer.
Patrick's parents were - Bernard Tierney and Mary m/s Clark both deceased.
Margaret's parents were - Mark Flood Wheelwright and Jane m/s Duffy both deceased.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 October 15 22:22 GMT (UK) »
Is there any paperwork for this Mark Flood / Jane Duffy scenario ?

On something else then you said his name might have been James  ???

Tara

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 October 15 22:50 GMT (UK) »
My husband's relative who did the research years ago has since passed away.  I believe she was the only one in the family who researched.  I don't know where she found the name James Flood.

I believe I was sent a copy of the certificate (that was two computers and one email address ago so I'm not too sure that I still have the copy).  :'( I will look for it.  Thank you for continuing with this topic, Tara.

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 October 15 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lisa

Nothing that I can see shows a Mark Flood / Jane Duffy scenario.

That's not to say there isn't one, just that I can't find it.

As you are dealing so far prior to Irish civil registration then it's always going to be tricky.

I'm always hesitant to even start to try and help without being fully confident that a person is working with the correct information.

Hopefully if you do track down the paperwork that states that this couple are the start of your Flood tree then get back to me and I will give it another try.

Best Of Luck

Tara

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 25 October 15 23:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tara:

Thank you very much for your time and trouble.  I really appreciate it.

Apparently, the only document that I (now) have I obtained through one of the Scottish pay sites and it only references the couple, the date and their witnesses.  There is no mention of parents.  I will try to find out what document gives their parents' names.

I understand about wanting correct information.  It's a long story, but basically, my family was mislead when we visited Ireland when I was a young teenager (we were looking for our ancestor's birthplace).  I found out about 30 years later that we were given information about our ancestor's possible cousin or uncle, not about him.  Now I am very careful about assuming things.  Thank you, Tara.

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 25 October 15 23:09 GMT (UK) »
There is nothing worse than going down the wrong path.

We've all done it  ;D

Tara

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 25 October 15 23:12 GMT (UK) »
So true!

Thank you, Tara.   :)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 25 October 15 23:26 GMT (UK) »
I know it's late in the UK...

I would love to know if you think I might be on the right track regarding my ancestor - he supposedly was born in County Fermanagh c1810.  (I like your style of research.)

Perhaps, if you are familiar with that part of Ireland, if you might have extra time one day, I could give you brief details and you could let me know if you think I've found his correct parents?  We've been searching for many years for this line, so anytime in 2015 or 2016 would work for me.   ;D

If I am able to find out more about the Floods, I will add it here.  Thank you, Lisa

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 25 October 15 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Have you had prior help on it here ?

If so, post the link to it !

OH and I'm in Ireland  ;D

Tara