Author Topic: William Hood born Cunnagal? Yorkshire c1780 (in 1851 Census of Pontop Colliery)  (Read 4044 times)

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
Re: William Hood born Cunnagal? Yorkshire c1780 (in 1851 Census of Pontop Colliery)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 September 16 12:23 BST (UK) »
Isn't that William Hood with a cellar collection full of booze, owned a wharf in Southwark London, his son George had connections to army supply business, also as this family were too mega posh/supper rich to be related to a humble village working class or middle class business as a cooper or barrel maker or barrel conditioner to store for liquids for a brewing trade. (a small soul backstreet trade 1812)

Why would one brother be very rich and the other of humble means.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Hood born Cunnagal? Yorkshire c1780 (in 1851 Census of Pontop Colliery)
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 September 16 13:20 BST (UK) »
Colliery Dykes should have been enumerated Collierley Dykes.

Now known as Dipton, County Durham

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 September 16 16:43 BST (UK) »
Been looking at the birthplaces of every (surviving) Hood in 1851 Census, born Yorkshire in 1782 +/- 5 years.

Any idea where Cunnagal [sic] (or Cunnayal) Yorkshire is, please?

Census Place Colliery Pontop [Pontop Colliery]
Colliery Dykes
William Hood, Marr. 71 yrs. Groom, Born Yorkshire Cunnagal
Catherine Hood, Marr. 55 yrs.           Born Newcastle All Saints.

As well as the location of Cunnagal, I am interested in the place of their marriage too, please?

Thanks, Mark

EDIT: wondering if 'Cunnagal' was the old local pronunciation for Cundall?
In Warwickshire Ebrington was still pronounced Yubberton by some locals.

But are there any Hood birth/baptisms in the Cundall Register circa 1780, please?

I'll check this William Hood out as occupation a Groom.

This William say he was born in Durham county on the 1841 census.

Possible burial

Burials Gateshead 1852 William Hood abt 1779 Sunniside
----------------------------------------------------------------Cunnagal ?

Sunniside is on the same main trunk A692 road heading towards  Gateshead.Newcastle from Dipton (see map link)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Sunniside,+Newcastle+upon+Tyne/@54.9013566,-1.6938343,13.81z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x487e78357865d2cf:0x151324e1f058fb46!8m2!3d54.92294!4d-1.6771609

Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
William Hood born Cunnagal? Yorkshire c1780 (1851 Census of Collierley & Pontop)
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 September 16 19:24 BST (UK) »
Colliery Dykes should have been enumerated Collierley Dykes.

Now known as Dipton, County Durham

Hello barryd

Thanks, I have inserted an amendment, in my quote used earlier today, in Post 8 on p.1.

Regards Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
William Hood born Cunnagal? Yorkshire c1780 (1851 Census of Collierley & Pontop)
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 September 16 07:37 BST (UK) »
Possible marriage?

On Family Search (not seen document) ...

William Hood married Catherine Patterson 16 August 1835, at St Hilda's Church, South Shields, Durham. Both Single.

Regards Mark

Online dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Elliven

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
If the census was Pontop Collierley (not Colliery - easy spelling mistake) there is a potential location for the cooperage building where the barrels were made.  There was a pub and sawmill that went bust in 1828.  The owner, James Guthrie, was sent to a debtors prison but the building was taken over.  By, whom I do not know but it later passed into the hands of Robert Southern (or Southren) and remained in business until well into the 20th Century.

If any of these names occur in your records, it might help to check local records in Dipton which is a village made up of the 19th Century villages of Dipton, Pontop and Collierley.  Good luck!

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Hi Elliven

The other surnames are not currently recognised, but thank you for responding.

Regards Mark