Author Topic: Price family at Clwt-y-Bont, Llanddeiniolen, Caernarvonshire  (Read 2946 times)

Offline Huwcyn

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Price family at Clwt-y-Bont, Llanddeiniolen, Caernarvonshire
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 October 15 21:53 GMT (UK) »
I think the sisters married with that surname because of the 'William' Price, rather than because of the Catherine ' Williams'.
Owen , Parry , Pritchard, Foulkes  o Llanddeiniolen
Jones, Bellis o Sir Fflint
Williams o Beaumaris
Chambers o Dulyn
Rowlands o Tywyn

Offline appolonia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 November 15 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your prompt and informative reply.  My theory has been proved wrong with the baptism record for Abigael Pryce (where did you find it?).  This then is not the family I am looking for.  My great grandmother was Appolonia Williams, born abt 1837.  The 1891, 1901 and 1911 census give her birth place as Amlwch, Anglesey.  The 1861 9(Bangor Workhouse) and 1881 as Pentraeth, the 1871 as Lllanddeiniolen.  I am missing the 1841 and 1851 census for her.  She married Wiliam Jones, 22, living at Caellefacen, on 31 March 1862.  She was a spinster living at 23 Castle Street, her father was William Price, miner.  They had 4 sons and 1 daughter.  In the 1880s, 1890s and 1900s she lived in Mountain Street, Carnarvon. In the 1911 census she is a widow (William Jones died in the Union Workhouse). She died on 20 Nov. 1919 at 4 Well St. Carnarvon.  There is an Appolonia in nearly every branch of my Welsh family, which is why I feel she is an important link.  Any further information that you can find about her early life and family would be much appreciated.

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 November 15 15:55 GMT (UK) »
What are the names of the witnesses on the marriage certificate for Appolonia and William Jones.
There may be a clue. Did they sign their names or make a mark.
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 November 15 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Not much more of great use, but they are both buried in  Llanbeblig.
William Jones  Union House  01 JUN 1899  70 
Apolonia Jones  4 Well Street  24 NOV 1919  80 

http://www.carnarvontraders.com/burials.shtml

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 01 November 15 20:22 GMT (UK) »
These are in the list of missing census pages for 1861. Perhaps that`s why she can`t be found.
Still doesn`t help with 1841/51.

4344 Carnarvonshire Carnarvon
Llanbeblig
Llanfaglan

http://www.familyhistory.uk.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=73&Itemid=2

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 02 November 15 10:09 GMT (UK) »
The images for the baptisms are on Findmypast, as are the marriages of Appolonia and Annas.

I can't find an details for Abigael after 1851 or Appolonia before 1861, so there is a possibility that they are the same person. Agnes/Annas has the same father's details as Appolonia, so they might be sisters but no definite proof.

David

Offline appolonia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 02 November 15 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your research.  In answer to the question regarding witnesses to Appolonia Williams and William Jones marriage, they were Grace Jones and Robert Williams, possibly siblings of the bride and groom, but maybe not!  They all made their mark, I don't think anyone in the family could read or write in those days.
I have documentation to show that my great grandfather, William Jones born about 1841, was alive in 1910 and in the Union Workhouse, I have found him there on the 1911 census too, listed as married and former mason.  However, in the 1881 census, Appolonia is listed as a boarder, living with her children, and a widow.  On the 1891 and 1901 census she is living with her grown up children at 4 Glanciedra Court, Mountain St., Carnarvon and is listed as married.  In 1911 she is living at 51 Mountain St. with her son and his family (enumerator has terrible handwriting) and it is stated that she is a widow.  I think there was great shame in being in the workhouse, which is why she may have said she was widowed.  The 1899 death date for William Jones would have made him born in 1829, not 1841, so that can't be correct.  I believe he died on 3 Feb. 1912 at Union House (Carnarvontraders and BDM) .  Thank you for pointing out that 1861 census records for Canarvon are missing, that explains some gaps but it is still the 1841 and 1851 census for Appolonia and William that I am missing and evidence of their birth or baptism and parents.