Author Topic: 1939 Register up and running  (Read 46741 times)

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1939 Register up and running
« on: Monday 02 November 15 00:44 GMT (UK) »
I have just done a search on the 1939 Register and got to the Preview stage (I haven't tried to unlock yet) but the person I searched for married in 1940 and the preview has both married and maiden surname which is good

Andy

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register up and running
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 November 15 00:51 GMT (UK) »
I tried about 5 mins ago and it was throwing an error. The page was n't there.

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 November 15 01:03 GMT (UK) »
I tried about 5 mins ago and it was throwing an error. The page was n't there.
That's it's busy message. Usually goes through 2nd or 3rd try.
Tried about ten searches and none of them show up ???

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 November 15 01:06 GMT (UK) »
Not so far very impressed with their indexing, they've got my grandfather's middle intial completely wrong which makes you wonder how if the record is supposed to include full names, and my grandmother has acquired a second middle initial. :-\   Mind you I tried my grandfather without his middle initial but with birth year and he still didn't show up even though the birth year on their index is correct. :-X  Only found them searching on my grandmother's name.

The annoying thing is that there are three people redacted from the entry, two I know, the other is a mystery which we may never find out since if they were only a child it will be years before they appear. ::)  May have to phone up my uncle and see if he can remember anything, albeit he wasn't that old when it was taken.

Was the residency criteria for entry under a particular address based on the individual actually residing there on a permanent basis rather than just visiting? 
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 November 15 01:12 GMT (UK) »
My other grandfather's middle name is a new variation on the spelling of a family surname.  I've not seen it spelt that way before and it has been spelt on Census in some weird and wonderful ways. ::)  I'd love to see how the names have been entered on the Register, it could well be something to do with the writing of the person who entered up the Registers, but I don't see the point of paying for information I already have so shall wait for the price to drop somewhat.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 November 15 01:28 GMT (UK) »
I had another go and my walsall was n't showing up but looks like only part of stafford street is on. So then i tried searching for my other grandfather and i found him by putting less info in. Well it gives me granfather, 3 more who are unlocked and 7 officially closed. Well all my aunts and uncles who were living there have died and know he took lodgers in and got had for overcrowding.Tried to unlock and pay, all looked good for go and then got an error message up, will inform the team it said. Like i got at the beginning. So it should be gran and grandad and there are 11 kids but obviouly some have flown. I think one may be in the forces. That'll be fun trying to unlock them! I've got some of the certs.Wonder what find mypast wil do wth the evidence after they finish with it.

Offline XPhile2868

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 November 15 01:35 GMT (UK) »
I've looked up my grandparents who were all young children in 1939 (the oldest being my paternal grandfather, who was nine at the time) and apart from a few birthdays and addresses I haven't really found anything new although I didn't expect too. Some of my relatives aren't shown even though they died many years ago - my paternal grandmother, for example, who died in 1998.

Stephen :)
Smith (Lancashire), McKenna (Ireland/Liverpool/Leyland), Maynard (Hertfordshire/London/Preston), Ricketts (Gloucestershire/Wigan/Preston), Scowcroft (Preston), Harling (N. Yorkshire/Lancashire), Willis (Preston), Clegg (Manchester/Preston), Dodd (Wigan/Cheshire), Alston (Lancashire), Hulks (Hertfordshire), Nicholson (Lancashire/Cumbria), Russell (Lancashire), Wilson (Cumbria), Bracewell (Lancashire), Moxham (Lancashire0

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline andycand

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 November 15 01:39 GMT (UK) »
Some of my relatives aren't shown even though they died many years ago - my paternal grandmother, for example, who died in 1998.

Stephen :)

If they were born after 1915 then only those who died before 1991 in England & Wales (I'm not sure about Scotland or Northern Ireland)are unredacted.

Andy

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 02 November 15 01:48 GMT (UK) »
Out of five siblings who all died well before 1991 but were born after 1915, I can only find one visible in the index.  Out of the other four, two died overseas during the war and the other two died in England. :-\  Its possible that one or other of them had already signed up but two would have been under age at the start of the war.