Author Topic: 1939 Register up and running  (Read 46632 times)

Online california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The 1939 Register is open!
« Reply #27 on: Monday 02 November 15 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Really nice to hear this type of success story.  Hopefully you will now be on a roll finding more information on her.  :)

I have not tried to 'unlock' anyone yet.  But as mentioned previously I like the way the information has been laid out.

I'm not sure how FindMyPast have deduced that the 5 household bundle is is 'most popular' as the payment plans have not not long been announced!

Offline MagicMirror

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 02 November 15 08:58 GMT (UK) »
My father and his brother who both died long before 1991 appear to have been redacted anyway.  I do have both death certificates though.

Every record I've looked at so far has a transcription error  :-X

I like the map that pinpoints the address - very helpful.

No more till Friday now. (Credit card statement date  ;D ;D ;D)

Offline kerryb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 02 November 15 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Weirdly I couldn't find my grandad who died in 1996 but my nan who died in 2002 is on the register.  I am thinking he wasn't at home.  Needs more searching!

Kerryb
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Searching for my family - Baldwin - Sussex, Middlesex, Cork, Pilbeam - Sussex, Harmer - Sussex, Terry - Surrey, Kent, Rhoades - Lincs, Roffey - Surrey, Traies - Devon & Middlesex & many many more to be found on my website ....

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 02 November 15 09:10 GMT (UK) »
Are you a monthly subscriber?

Apparently, only annual subscribers qualify for 25%
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 02 November 15 09:14 GMT (UK) »
From a very popular previous thread here ( over 30 pages when closed) I was under the impression that present subscribers were being offered 25% discount.
I have only been offered 10%, subscriber since last December. I have written an email,but don't suppose I'll get a quick reply. Anyone else only been offered 10%?
Margaret

Apparently FindMyPast are still sending emails out to subscribers I have seen reports some were sent last night/early this morning.
Have you checked you junk mail folder to ensure it has not been transferred to that?

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 02 November 15 09:18 GMT (UK) »
I've been a subscriber for a couple of years or more and I've only been offered 10% for registering an interest. I think it's because I don't auto renew my subscription. ( I don't think they offer monthly subscriptions any more , do they ? ).

Christine
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 02 November 15 09:20 GMT (UK) »
I must register disappointment that the record for anyone deemed to possibly still be alive has been made inaccessible, including one of mine who would be 96 if he were still living.  The onus is on US to pay for a death certificate and then a 25pound fee to get it all sorted out.  And only the death cert will do, not an obit.  No thanks.  They have the death records for most of these people already. 

I am annoyed because this restriction was not included in all the advertising and hype that preceded the release.  They made it sound like you would be able to see everything.  They also made it look like you would get photos and newspaper reports included, but I doubt very much if that is the case.  If anyone gets any, please post!

I wonder if they will update this annually so as to allow unrestricted access to those who would be 100 years old if alive.

The only one that I looked up so far, which would have included the person born in 1919, was very difficult to find as the surname of the next door neighbour (whose name is known to me)was used instead.  I went through the address directory instead, in order to track them down. 

So, two strikes, and so far not worth it to me.  It's very expensive, especially if you won't get the entire family grouping as advertised, so I will wait until I have a few families that are really worth my while to look up. 

With so many errors, I really have to wonder how did they ever manage conscription?  I know that 2 people in this household where the surname is wrong were conscripted, so how did they identify them?  Surely the children (whom I'm not allowed to see), whom I know were conscripted, were not given different surnames to the parents?

ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 02 November 15 09:23 GMT (UK) »

I don't think they offer monthly subscriptions any more , do they ?

Christine

Hmm, no doesn't look like it. My last monthly was in Nov 14, but maybe they continued it for existing subscribers. However, there are going to better people placed to know that than me.
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 02 November 15 09:31 GMT (UK) »
What not to do #1: looked for my Dad. Forgot he (only) died in 1997 so is redacted and therefore doesn't show up in the search results

Lol !!
what not to do no 2 : I searched  for my grandfather for well over half hour , I even did an address search -  and me cursing away at findmypast as I know exactly where they lived -why isn't he coming up in my results stupid @#X@ FindMyPast !!!-Then I remembered, he is still in Ireland and didn't move there until the late 50's when my mum and siblings were  teenagers lol - what was I thinking?? -  My excuse is that I got carried away in the excitement of the moment. lol ;D

I found everyone else that should be there easy enough, except for one set of my hubby's grandparents - and I know where they were, so  I don't know why they are not coming up in my search.

I haven't bought any records, I'll wait until the price drops (hopefully) as there's really no rush for me as I know where  the families were  and what they were doing in 1939
 I'm prepared to wait it out - same as most records that came down in price in the past

Kind Regards
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u