Author Topic: 1939 Register up and running  (Read 46638 times)

Offline loo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register up and running
« Reply #243 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 22:06 GMT (UK) »
I wonder what kind of compulsion there was at the time for everyone to complete these forms?

I have drawn a blank with both sets of grandparents and quite a few others. A friend has looked as well - nothing.

Very, very disappointing.

I don't think they were given ration books if forms were not completed or names not included. I believe many people were known to have excluded sons in the hope that they weren't called up but soon realised they'd face other problems and had to get the forms amended.

On the other hand, if their names were all wrong on the Register, as so many of them are, their ration books would also have had their names wrong, and I would have thought that would have created problems too.  I will ask my mum tonight if her ration book was in her own proper name because on the Register her parents' surnames are completely wrong.  She was 18 and living at home at the time and has been redacted.

UPDATE:  I talked to my mum this evening, who is quite competent, and she says her ration book was in her correct name.  She still has it somewhere, and that is the way I remember it too, having seen it years ago.  So I guess the problem with the Register is in the transcription.
ARMSTRONG - Castleton Scot; NB; Westminstr Twp
BARFIELD - Nailsea
BRAKE - Nailsea
BURIATTE
CANDY - M'sex, Deptford
CLIFFORD - Maidstone
DURE(E) - France, Devon, Canada
HALLS - Chigwell
KREIN, Peter/Adam - Germany
LEOPOLD - Hanover, London
LATTIMER, MAXWELL - Ldn lightermen
MEYER - Lauenstein
MURRAY - Scot borders
STEWART - Chelsea; Reach
SWANICK - Mayo & Roscommon; Ontario
WEST - Rochester & Maidstone
WILLIS - Wilts, Berks, Hants, London
WOODHOUSE - Bristol tobacconist, London
WW1 internees

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 22:13 GMT (UK) »
I was wondering that as well, Loo. My grandmother and so presumably my mother (who is redacted) are down as Walters when it should be Waters. I presume that other forms were filled in to get ration books after your name was on the register to prove you existed.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline HeatherLynne

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: Tuesday 03 November 15 22:44 GMT (UK) »
I had great trouble finding some of my Hellyers.  The name's been recorded as many variants over the years, Hellier, Hellyar, Hillyer, Hillier etc etc. When I eventually found them in the 1939 register the clear writing of Hellyer had been transcribed as Hellyes!  Hellyes? Hell no!
Made me laugh anyway    ;D
Rassell - South Hayling/Portsea/Chelsea,  Hellyer - Totnes/Islington,  Roots - Hackney,  Edden - St Pancras

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 09:17 GMT (UK) »
Hiya folks, the topic continues here:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=734467.0

Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.