Author Topic: McMullan of Ticloy and Lookup in "Presbyterianism in Buckna..."  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Two words that can change the world "Thank You"
    • View Profile
Re: McMullan of Ticloy and Lookup in "Presbyterianism in Buckna..."
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 00:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Got your message Susan, there are lots of entries, so I'll start listing all Mullin's in the visitations in order of date before I photograph any of them (I'll list the ones I've  posted in my previous replies too, so they'll be in order of date) - it may help others too looking for Mullens in the area.  This may take me some time ;D

I'm going through the pages one by one looking at all entries looking for any Mullin/Mullen/Mullan ( spelling of Mullen is irrelevant, they spelt it how they speak - The  Mullen entries most of them seem to be with an I - Mullin ) I'm keeping my eyes open for "Elliot's" or similar too and Boyd's., I haven't found any yet - but I've still got lots pages to read through yet ( funny thing  though,I found one of my lot  married to a Moorehead that escaped me  the last few times I read through the book )

My below list refs, they are the page number in the book, the other number is for me to find the entry on the page - just so I don't get lost and know where I'm up to in the book, as it will take me some time to go through the pages. The words in " italic "  writing below are words that I'm not sure about, can't really read them properly.

Mullin/Mullen/Mullan:

27 & 28 Jany 1850 Ballincaird
John M'Mullin & Wife -  2 Ch ( babtiz' one
p203 (ref 133) 

27 &28 Jany 1850 Ballincard
Robt Mc Mullin & Wife - Ch
p204 (ref 183)

27th & 28th Jany 1850 Ballincard
Mary M' Mullin & family - husband to America
p205 (ref 212)

Monday 11th March 1850 Tammybrack

"Alear" McMullin chdn & wife, 1 daughter, 1 granddaughter " H...." Ch
p206 (ref 247)

Tues 16th April 1850 Glenhead
James M'Mullin & wife - 5 ch (p....)
p208 (ref 305)

entry next to above James
William M'Mullin & wife ( no ch, brother of above, ch batized at "Larne")
p208 (ref 306) -"no ch' above has a line going through it - ie crossed out, the Rev must have realised that they do have children after he wrote it and wrote baptized at larne

16th April 1850 Glenhead
David M'Mullin & wife - 6 ch ( decrepi"t" father)
p208 (ref 312)

March 1852 Tammybrack
"Alex" M'mullin
p213

to be continued....
Census information in my posts are crown copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.u

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 02:06 GMT (UK) »
Next:  ( I found some Boyd's, but will list them later on ,  I don't want to mix them up with M'Mullin list")

9th March 1852 Slaine & Mullindreen
Mrs widow " Ninm?n" & Mr M'Mullin in same house
p 213

31 Jan & 2 feb 1854 Upper Buckna

Robt M'Mullin & wife - 4ch
p219

March 14 and 16th 1854  Slaine & Mullindreen
John M'mullin & wife - 2ch (?) live in house of " Nimnons"
p221
Feb 10th 1857 Glenhead
William M'Mullin &wife - 3 ch
James M'Mullin & wife - family
p223

long entry coming up ;D - as written :

Feb 10th 1857 Glenhead
"Owencloghey  William Rea & wife - 2 sons x 3 daughters at home. Fine young people "can't read next word".      " G/Hoster - can't read word" *cat. Pretty fair.  He holds 12 or 13 acres of land "something ,something" and are industrious. Mrs Rea is daughter of David M'Mullin the "something".. To whom next David M'Mullin & wife (he 92 yrs old) she his second wife. First family all provided for and gone. Present family consists of 2 boys or 3 and 2 girls ( can't read next word that is in brackets in the text)  & the child I baptized 7 yrs ago. Eldest a shoemaker " something, something, something" in "Magh...." near half brothers house (late). Except him the family are ignorant ," something something"able to read, understand some "something"

There are also more comments on the side margin next to the above comments/notes - " Mr Rea is father of John Rea, son in law of Robt M'Mullin"
p223
(How's that for confusing? ;D lol - it looks like these M'Mullin's  married  well and truly into the Rea's - the word above  with the * looks very much like the word cat, so can't make out what the word before it says for the life of me and why he is  taking note of a cat  ??? )

Feb 16th 1857 Buckna
Robt M'Mullin & wife 2 sons visible 1 or 2 daughters.
p223

to be continued.................

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 12:13 GMT (UK) »
M'mullins continued;
(The last lot of pages with M'mullins in)

1857 March 24th Loughconne(o)lly
Alexander Davidson , wife formerly M as in mrs (or could be a w) M'mullin
p225

1857 March 31st Mullindreen, Tecloy
John M'Mullin & wife - 2 ch. The little girl answers very well.
p226

1857 April 10th Staine & part of Tamneybrack
Thos M'Mullin & wife - 2 ch. In Davie " Meglar..ys"place at roadside.
 He brother of John M'Mullin of Mulindreen  she from Co Down
p226

1857 April 14, 15,16 Tamneybrack
"Nip" M'mullins and ?
p226

1858 Owencloghy dec 10th
David M'mullin (widower) age 93 -6 ch. The youngest 8 or 9  yrs old - learning to spell (  ;D I'll have what David's drinking! )
[/i]  - the rest cant read "?" further information, "vide" p97 seep ( it definitely says seep)
p231

1858 dec 14 "canalbana" (I can't make out this place name)
James M'mullin & wife - family
p232

1859 Jan 4th Buckna

Robert M'mullin & wife - 2 sons, 2 daughters. They are now getting some tution in the town & at home. Educ formerly neglected.
p232

1859 dec 12 - 30 Tamneybrack
Mrs M'Mullin & daughters
p235

1861 5 & 7 march Buckna
Robert M'Mullin & wife 2 sons 2 daughters
p240

1862 jan 23rd  Mullindreen
John M'Mullin & wife - x
p241

1864 feb 9th Upper Buckna
Robert M'Mullin widower & 2 sons , 1 girl "leny" = Helena (* it's written exactly like that  with the equal sign too "leny" = Helena)
p246

1864 June  Slaine, Tecloy, Killyharne
John M'Mullin & wife & daughter & son-in-law Boyd . Formerly lived in "midscer.....?" now on road to Mrs White.
p246

1864 June Tecloy, Slaine , Killyharne continued
Thomas M'Mullin & wife - 5ch. He is a brother of John. They live in a Thatched house above Clarke's
p246

1866 13th Nov Tamneybrack
Mrs M'Mullin & daughter & niece
p251

1866 27th Nov Tamneybrack cont & part of Slaine
Thomas M'Mullin & wife - family seep 150
p251

The end of the visitations list (phew!)

List of communicants at the Lord's supper in Buckna on Sabbath 18th May 1862:
M'mullin Mary , Tamneybrack
communicants 17th May ; M'Mullin Mary - Tamneybrack, and  Mc Mullin Mary - "a:calf"
Communicants June 1869; M'Mullin Nancy - *T.brack ( Tamneybrack) and M'Mullin Thomas  (no place is listed)

Communicants (page 285)
May 1850 Jane McMullin, Mary McMullin
Nov 1877 Sarah Vance formerly McMullin
Nov 1877 Jane McMullan - Tecloy
30 April 1903 By certificate: Mrs Jane McMullan from 2nd Broughshane
8th May 1919 John McMullan - Loughconnolly
2 and 5 May 1946 William McMullan - Ballinacaird

occupations of Members of Buckna congregation taken from the communion roll 1880 to 83
Farmers - Mary McMullin - Glenardagh

The end :)

I'll post the odd few boyds I found  next - There are only a couple, I could not find  any Elliot's or similar names at all in the lists.

Offline Cell

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Boyd's:

1852 16 March
Kilnacolpagh
Thomas "*master" & wife - 5 ch the sister of ''   ''  Boyd's of "*C?ol agh?" (*can't read it)
p214
1865 Feb 21st "Aughanhill"

Robt Boyd - His mother & 2 or 3 sons illegit (plus some more writing that I can't read)
p220

1857 feb 25 Kilnacolpagh
William Boyd & wife. They invited me to spend the evening with them, but "declined" in favour of Mrs "Peters" who invited them along with me to take tea with her.
p224

1857 march 4th Aughafatten
Robert Boyd & wife& brother & mother , wife from "Cloyh....."
p224

1857 8th Dec Craigamoy

Patrick Boyd & wife - 1ch. They live in house of "mrs" Pattison. Neither Boyd nor wife counts. He reads but very imperfectly, she better.
p228

1860 Jan 16 to 18 Kilnacolpagh

William Boyd and wife
p235

1860 Jan 30 - feb 1 Craigamoy

Patrick Boyd and wife - 2 ch
p236

1862 Dec 16 Craigamoy

William Boyd and wife - 1 ch. She a semi R.C. He can't read.
p243

1864 Dec Craigamoy
William Boyd & wife - ch
Patrick Boyd & wife family
p248

1865 feb Aughafatten

Robert Boyd & wife - 4ch - His mother & brother Marcus & wife ch
p249

1866 Dec Kilacolpagh

William Boyd & wife
p252

1868 Dec 1st Craigarnoy & Roughan
Patrick Boyd & wife - ch
p253

That's all the Boyds that I can find (plus the son in law of M'Mullin listed in with the M'Mullins  ) Patrick Boyd is  also listed in the communicants

Kind Regards :)

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 November 15 04:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello Cell,

My sincerest apologies for not having been able to respond to your wonderful hard work on deciphering the latest visitation entries for me.  I went down with a reaction to new medication and have been so tired I could hardly hold my head up until today.

So, thank you very much for all your labours on extracting those entries for me.  The mention of Alexander McMullin and wife poses some interesting questions for the family I am chasing as Thomas McMullan, the brother of John McMullan at Ticloy is at Tamybuck in the Griffiths Valuation 1861-1862.  The only other McMullan [spelled as McMullen] is an Anne who is lessee of 5 pieces of property in that townland.  I have attempted to locate a death registration for Anne but sadly she must have died prior to the start of civil registration.  I have been similarly unsuccessful in locating a Will post-1858 for Alexander or Anne, or even pre-1858, for that matter.

While a fair number of the McMullan clan from Ticloy, Slane and Tamybuck have been buried in Racavan graveyard I could find no mention of a burial of Anne or Alexander there, as well.

I have one question and don't know if you know the answer:  Where exactly is Racavan graveyard located?  I have attempted to find it on several different maps and even tried a Google Earth view without luck. 

Thanks again, Cell, I truly appreciate your efforts in assisting me with this query.

Sincerely,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 07 November 15 10:55 GMT (UK) »
If it is the "Racavan Old" graveyard, then the "History from Headstones" website locates it in the townland of Racavan, in the Civil Parish of Racavan:

http://www.historyfromheadstones.com/index.php?displaygraveyardinfo&graveyard_name=Racavan%20Old

The OSI website historical mapping series from the 1830s/1840s shows the graveyard here (below), note its distinctive shape (may take a while to load):

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,719810,905289,10,7

It's off the Racavan Road.  In the above website, you can see that location on a more contemporary map, just select "STREET MAP" under "REVIEW MAP SERIES" over to the right hand side of the screen.

For a shortcut on google maps, try searching under 38 Racavan Road, Broughshane - once there, go to Earth / Satellite mode and pan south 250 metres, then pan west 400 metres, you will see the graveyard's distinctive shape there (not sure if the link below will work):

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gfq/

Offline Zacktyr

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My little paperweight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 07 November 15 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gaffy,

Thank you very much for sorting and posting the links for the maps.  Both worked very well. 

But, it must be my computer with the OS map.  First, I have it and then I don't.  But, I did manage to sort out the place in relation to Ticloy, Slane and Tamybuck.  It must have been the only operating cemetery in the neighbourhood as it's not exactly close.

The second link to the satellite view worked beautifully - it came up in satellite view and, yes, that must be the place. 

I have a PDF file of burials at "Racavan Graveyard, Broughshane"  with no further information as to place.   http://new.killercontent.net/media/thebraid/racavaninterments.pdf

I never would have guessed that that place was a cemetery or that it would have held some 1,300 burials. 

Many thanks, again, the cemetery's location was a missing link and quite a puzzle.

Sincerely,
Susan
CRN-Hocking
DVN-Bickle.Doble.Harris.Hill.Nrthcte
KEN-Austen.Bodeker.Collard.Dodd.Duncan.Eaton.Gregry.Hammnd.Herman.Hills.Hodgs.Ivysn.
James.Kemp.Milstd.Nut.Owlet.Ruck.Spilet.Terry.Tilby.Thmsn.Walker
SOM-Baker.Clatworthy.Linton.Parker.Smith.Stone.Twose
ABD-Barclay.Cruickshank.McKenzie.Shepherd.Club
LKS-Douglas.Gunn.Turner
MLN-Dicks/Dickson.Duff.Lindsay.Young
SHI-Bain.Cluness.Fordyce.Gray.Petrie
ASSISTANCE PROVIDED HERE IS FROM MY OWN DIRECT EXPERIENCE & NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS LEGAL ADVICE