Author Topic: Preview search tips for the 1939 Register before you buy  (Read 35222 times)

Offline Leeeeeese

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Preview search tips for the 1939 register before you buy
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone having problems searching on the address section?  I've been trying & if you want to add borough/district, it's dead.  Tried searching for an obvious street, 'Oxford Street' & got zero results...can't be right  :-\

Jane

Hi Jane,
I have had it on quite a few of mine too - I've found that if you exclude 'road/street/etc'...it works fine.... I have just tried with 'Oxford' in the Street Field' and London in the Area Field and it works fine; albeit you have to select it from a list - or am I just being lucky...
Lisa
Turner - Manchester (esp Emily born circa 1853/1855)
Jones - Hulme/Manchester (esp Henry born circa 1847)
Cottrells - Ness/Neston (esp Margaret born circa 1874/1875)
Ellis - Neston and other Cheshire
Butlers - Stockport
Clarke - Whittington, Staffordshire UK and USA

Offline Jane Masri

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My back garden
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 05 November 15 07:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Dawn  :)
Leeeeeese, yes, I think you're getting lucky  ;)
I tried on the person search leaving everything blank except street & borough & I got a long list but I know it was the right one as grandparents were there.  Just playing around really  ;D

Jane
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Researching BRABY/BRAVERY in SURREY and SUSSEX

PLEASE use the look-up requests page not a personal message.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 05 November 15 07:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for starting this thread Dawn, and thanks to everyone else for the additional tips. I have found a couple of households of OH's family through just using the basic search, but I am not that keen to find out more by paying to see the entire family, so the tips will help a lot.

;D

Offline Veritas

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 05 November 15 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Re: USING TNA Reference Number

then if you do a blank search (no names or places) just using the reference, you ignore the RG101, the piece number (in my eg) 0950E and the item number 009

As well as this when you have loaded one up, to find another person in the same household just change the web address in your browser's bar, so if the address was www.123/345/56/67 change the 67 to 66 or 68.
[/quote]

Thanks Dawn

I found this very helpful and have manged to find other people in households where I didn't know their names.

Having found one chap I went back to the general FindMyPast search and put name and year of birth in to see who he was.

Besides the usual results census, BMD etc I found an entry for him listed as being in 1939 Register,  which took me back to the entry I had found in 1939 Register

So it looks as though the 1939 Register is integrated into the main search database.

This may not be "news" but I thought it was interesting and could be useful matching people up.

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 05 November 15 18:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, thought I should add what just happened when I was searching. Found GG nan on the free search but couldnt see her husband. Tried the tips given here with the reference numbers etc and still no luck. So i bought a credit and clicked on the transcript which showed just GG Nan, 2 uncles and 2 hidden. I then pressed view origional and not only could I see their neighbours on the same sheet (bonus for me as a cousin was also there - sorry if this has already been stated the bit about seeing the rest in the street) but right above Nan was her husband. He was missed off the search and missed off the transcript...but there he was!
Am a bit pleased with myself now lol x
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 05 November 15 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Just had another quick look and its totally muddled up - On transcript Nan is given grandads DOB and occupation. The son is given Nans occupation and DOB and where the son is positioned on the origional is another family member who I havent a clue who he is but HES given the sons occupation and DOB....double double double check people...its only cus I think I know this particular family in and out that I clicked the errors!
(A bonus though is that I can see who was blocked cause he may still be living even though hes long gone) x
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 November 15 16:47 GMT (UK) »
My thanks to everyone for the topic and search tips  :)

It has led to some interesting results for me.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 06 November 15 21:21 GMT (UK) »
If you have access to FindMyPast and look for your rellies on the 1832-1932 Electoral Register and find their address....you can get lucky and find them if they are still at the same address in the 1939 Register.
If people are patient....Just like with the 1911 census that we had to pay for.....the price will come down after the initial rush when FindMyPast have recouped some of their outlay and got new member....then  the special offers will start....and then free access for a day.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 07 November 15 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Re: USING TNA Reference Number

then if you do a blank search (no names or places) just using the reference, you ignore the RG101, the piece number (in my eg) 0950E and the item number 009

As well as this when you have loaded one up, to find another person in the same household just change the web address in your browser's bar, so if the address was www.123/345/56/67 change the 67 to 66 or 68.
[/i]

Thanks Dawn

I found this very helpful and have manged to find other people in households where I didn't know their names.

Having found one chap I went back to the general FindMyPast search and put name and year of birth in to see who he was.

Besides the usual results census, BMD etc I found an entry for him listed as being in 1939 Register,  which took me back to the entry I had found in 1939 Register

So it looks as though the 1939 Register is integrated into the main search database.

This may not be "news" but I thought it was interesting and could be useful matching people up.

[/quote]

Seems they have removed the reference number from the preview page now
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.