Author Topic: Preview search tips for the 1939 Register before you buy  (Read 35221 times)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Preview search tips for the 1939 register before you buy
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 08 November 15 20:01 GMT (UK) »
I've just taken the plunge and used my credits to purchase the entry for my parents.

Not exactly where I expected them to be, based on my birth in 1942, but!!!  Glad to see the neighbours, including Mr "Wobinson" who I put through the hoops - poor man!!!  Hid his turnip seed, locked him in the shippon, etc. etc. etc. b No wonder he hid from me  ;D ;D ;D

My only gripe, and not the fault of FindMyPast - the District is "Northwich" so all maps etc. are attached to Northwich, about 8 miles away - but the family lived a few miles away, and had very little to do with Northwich - my memories are of "one bus a week on market day"!!! 

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 09 November 15 04:49 GMT (UK) »
Bumble Bee .... I think you will find the RURAL DISTRICT of "Northwich" covers where your parents were in 1939. I have used the site twice. One for a linked relative born in Ceylon and the other for a linked relative born in Pennsylvania, USA.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Monday 09 November 15 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Barry you are correct, Northwich Rural District, and only the name of the house or farm.  There is no indication that they actually lived in the village of Little Budworth.  Again, no fault of FindMyPast, it's how the Register was set up in the first instance.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 09 November 15 08:31 GMT (UK) »
It has been mentioned elsewhere but a list of the registration district codes can be found here

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01gg3/

The prefix of a letter Y on a card usually means that the original card was lost or stolen and replaced
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Mean_genie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 09 November 15 11:29 GMT (UK) »
A lot of heat and dust has been generated re the TNA references that were on the free preview, and have been removed. With all the digitised records I can think of, you only get the full reference if you are a logged-in subscriber or have paid with a PPV voucher on FindMyPast, Ancestry et all - so I was surprised that it was there at all on the free preview.

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 09 November 15 13:00 GMT (UK) »
A lot of heat and dust has been generated re the TNA references that were on the free preview, and have been removed. With all the digitised records I can think of, you only get the full reference if you are a logged-in subscriber or have paid with a PPV voucher on FindMyPast, Ancestry et all - so I was surprised that it was there at all on the free preview.

It is still not showing for me and this is the reply from FindMyPast this morning "After checking our website, this has not been removed, could you please try again and if the issue persists please get back in touch".

Does anyone else see the reference ? - I'm a UK only subscriber.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 09 November 15 13:07 GMT (UK) »
I'm a UK only subscriber too.  I can see the ref in IE11 but not the second person but in Firefox I can see the second person but not the ref.  The only difference is that I have been logged in to FindMyPast in IE since prior to the launch and haven't logged out, but in Firefox I had to login when I tried other day.  I'm also viewing for the .co.uk address.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 09 November 15 16:10 GMT (UK) »

When I bring up a preview screen the reference flashes on as the page loads then disappears within about 1 second (you have to watch closely to see it).
That happens in both Firefox and Internet Explorer.
It is easier to see if you bring the preview screen up , concentration on the section of the box where the reference appears and refresh the page image.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Stuart273

• RootsChat Member
  • 2016 Panto - Upgraded to Yorkshire Yokel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 09 November 15 22:29 GMT (UK) »

When I bring up a preview screen the reference flashes on as the page loads then disappears within about 1 second (you have to watch closely to see it).
That happens in both Firefox and Internet Explorer.
It is easier to see if you bring the preview screen up , concentration on the section of the box where the reference appears and refresh the page image.

Cheers
Guy

Or print screen at the moment of refresh...  :)
General:
Scotland - Henderson, Rutherford, Tofts, Green, Philp/Philip, Cook
England/Wales - Helps, Jones, Wright, Petheram (Axbridge and surrounding areas, Somerset)
Canada: Rutherford, Green
New Zealand: Rutherford