Author Topic: 1939 Register up and running (Part 2)  (Read 43000 times)

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register up and running (Part 2)
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 14:39 GMT (UK) »

(For those who have found bits of streets missing:  I have found that if you use the references for those bit of the streets that do appear, and just search on the reference, you will found how parts of streets are often indexed differently)
Not always. I had a "Live Chat" with FindMyPast yesterday and they admitted that the page I was looking for wasn't there, even when using the reference to try to go direct to it.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 14:51 GMT (UK) »
I'm sure this has already been answered, but my senior brain is having trouble keeping up with all these helpful 1939 threads!

I've found most of my relatives on the free search - I've very few in the U.K. anyway.

There are 2/3 missing who really should be there - all men in their 20s or 30s, so possibly already involved in the army etc.
Are military people to be found somewhere?

regards eadaoin

One of my uncles born 1911 was still at home September 1939 and he's on the register with his wife but I do know he served in the army, whereas another uncle was mobilised straight away and is not to be found anywhere.

For one of my searches I used just the street (Avenue) name and amongst the list of the street's residents were three more males in their 20s - unfortunately if anyone is looking for them (and three others) they will probably not find them as their surnames are "~???" (see below).

Kingston-upon-Hull C.B.    Yorkshire (East Riding)

Lamorna Avenue, Chamberlain Road, Hull.

Frederick C    ?Yse          born 1905    Ref: RG101/3163G/006/3
Susannah            ?Yse          born 1885    Ref: RG101/3163G/006/4
Annie E            A?Nott    born 1885    Ref: RG101/3163G/007/20

Edwin H       ~???          born 1913    Ref: RG101/3163G/007/38
Fred          ~???          born 1915    Ref: RG101/3163G/006/1
~???          ~???          born 1914    Ref: RG101/3163G/007/39

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Just sent my first entry to get unlocked. 7 redacted out of 11 but i worked out one who has already moved out and Know that there's 2 i have certs of to send in. The one i;ve sent in died a year ago.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 14:52 GMT (UK) »
If I had a German Wife in September 1939 I would keep my head down and try to avoid officialdom. That may be the reason they are not on the 1939 Register.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 14:59 GMT (UK) »
If I had a German Wife in September 1939 I would keep my head down and try to avoid officialdom. That may be the reason they are not on the 1939 Register.

The problem is if they did that they wouldn't have identity cards and so then wouldn't get ration books. According to the National Archives, lots of people did try to avoid it, thinking that by doing so they, or their children, would avoid conscription. They soon realised they had no choice, but I suppose they wouldn't then appear on the 1939 register.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Norrette

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 15:01 GMT (UK) »
That's what I thought Barry.  But I was imagining if the war had just started and you had no idea how long it would last, you'd be desperate for a ration card.  The pair of them popped up in a newspaper obituary for his brother & wife killed in the Hull blitz of 8th May 1941, so they were still around.  If she was stopped by officialdom through her accent (she'd only been married 8 years) things would be very sticky without an ID card.

Will have to read up on the black market!

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 15:09 GMT (UK) »

I'd still like to try and work out how to decipher this reference in column 11 for another individual:  "22.10.4? / re regd YEHA - 274673[8?] / CA"

Re-registered for some reason, no idea why.
Not entirely sure about the 1939 versions, I 'think' the 4 letters probably designated a district of registration but don't know about the numbers. The National ID number was used as the basis for the old style NHS numbers when the NHS was born.

If you are short of extraneous facts <g>:
Those of us born 'after' the NHS came into being had a 4 letter code and then a number as our NHS number.
The four letter code again, I think, designated an area but don't know how large or small an area and the numerical part is the register entry number on your birth certificate. Mine matches exactly, the number part of my old NHS number was 117 and my birth cert says that was the entry number in the births register.
My husband's NHS no. and birth cert match up too. We are 1950s vintage.
Our daughters were born 1979 and 1980, their old style NHS number is written on their birth certs and the register entry number matches the numerical part of the NHS number.
NB this is old style (pre 1996) NHS number, not National Insurance number.

Boo

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 15:20 GMT (UK) »
I have used the site once and was very pleased. Searching for Rolf Creasy, born Colombo, Ceylon,  1863, with no apparent record of his birth in Ceylon. Ceylon is a bit hit and miss on their records. Surgeon, Retired, on the 1939 Register. Birth date given with wife and Housekeeper. 1930's/1940's lived at Red Chimneys, Pigeonhouse Lane, Rustington, Worthing, Sussex. Electoral Rolls. Address on  1939 Register, Red Chiss, Pegconhouse Lane, Worthing Rural District, Sussex. Not a problem for me but this may be a reason why some people cannot be found.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 04 November 15 15:27 GMT (UK) »
Has government (or anyone) ever published a list of NHS Letter prefixes in relation to where they were registered. I am a FJNJ.