Author Topic: 1841 lookup please - I cant find it!  (Read 8051 times)

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 lookup please - I cant find it!
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 08 November 15 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Not only was Fred baptised by George and Ellen, his birth was also officially registered by them. I suppose that does not completely rule out his mother being Eliza, but it makes it unlikely.

(Bath has its own BMD site - http://www.bathbmd.org.uk/ - which has the advantage over FreeBMD that it gives the mother's maiden name for birth registrations. The entry for Fred shows Honeywell, which was George's wife's maiden name.

Bath Birth indexes for the years: 1848
Surname   Forename(s)   Sub-District   Registers At   Mother's Maiden Name   Reference
STONE   Frederick George   Batheaston   Bath   HONEYWELL   BEA/5/135  )

David

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good things come to those who wait...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 09 November 15 03:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David

I've also stalked you on ancestry.  Amanda Stone, the friend I'm researching for, is coming over shortly for a drink and preview.  We were actually in Bath together last year BEFORE she knew where her roots, so to speak, were from!  Thanks again for your continued assistance Amanda's cousin.

Regard, Steven.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland
NEWEY - Leicestershire, England
FITZGERALD - Co. Cork - Ireland
HOWLETT - Suffolk, England
PHILMORE - Wiltshire, England
CHAPMAN - Cornwall - England
NICHOLLS - Cornwall - England
SHAW - Nottinghamshire, England
PRITCHARD - Salop, England
ROBERTS (Maternal) - Surrey, England

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bath burial?
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 17 April 16 03:39 BST (UK) »
Hi team

Any idea's where these Stone's may be buried? and monuments?

Regards, Steven.
ROBERTS / ROBERT / ROBERTSON (Paternal) - Dunbartonshire/Stirlingshire, Scotland

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 April 16 11:53 BST (UK) »
The only one I can help you with is Abraham, grandfather of the James who married Jane Fry. He farmed in Tadwick which is a hamlet in the parish of Swainswick. Swainswick is a long thin parish and his farm was actually nearer to the church in Langridge and that is where he was buried, in 1823. I have a copy of an old record of the gravestones there, it shows two Stone graves:

To the Memory of
ABRAHAM STONE
of the City of Bath who died March 30th 1823
aged 68 years.

Also of
GEORGE
his son who died Feb. 27th, 1823.

In Memory of
JOHN STONE
who died 2nd Feb. 1875, aged 87 years.
Late of the 32nd regt., was at the Battles
of Copenhagen 1807, Roleia, Salamanca,
Nive, Vimiara, Pyrenees, Orthos, Corunna,
Nivelle and Toulouse.

Also in loving memory of
FANNY
widow of the above John STONE who died Jan. 17th
1891, aged 85 years.

I assume Abraham was living with his son in his old age and that's why he's recorded as from Bath.
I don't know anything about John the soldier. Abraham had a son John but he was baptised in 1792 so unless he was baptised late or the age on the grave is wrong he's not the same John. (Just noticed John was baptised at the Abbey, so maybe Abraham  moved to Bath earlier than I thought.)

Most of the old graves at Langridge are now illegible (the record is from 100 years ago) so there is little hope of finding Abraham's grave now.

David

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 17 April 16 12:52 BST (UK) »
Hi David

That info is AMAZING!!!  You know, I think that John Stone is the son because the age for his wife Fanny fits.  My records show she was younger and born c.1807.  From what you have written its 1806, a good match.  It's possible that John was baptised later I suppose because I think he older brother was born c.1786.

David, is that church St. Mary Magdalene's?

Regards, Steven.

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 22 April 16 18:25 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid my memory let me down a little with these Stones. I haven't seen anything to indicate that Abraham was a farmer. From his children's baptisms he and his wife appear to have lived in Swainswick, Tadwick, Walcot and central Bath, but I don't know his occupation. His son William was a farmer, in Langridge, and perhaps that's why Abraham was buried there.

A Mary Stone was buried at Woolley in 1791. I think it possible that she was Abraham's wife, although she would be considerably older than him. There is an entry for her in a list of Woolley MIs recorded in the 1970s, but I can't find the grave there now. (If the grave was barely legible when recorded, then maybe the age is wrong anyway.)

Here lieth the body of
MARY STONE late of this parish
who died Jan 26  1791  aged 49

I've looked at John Stone a bit more and I agree he must be Abraham and Mary's son.

Yes, the Langridge parish church is dedicated to St Mary Magdalene.

David

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 23 April 16 02:37 BST (UK) »
Hi David.

I've also found another possible Mary Stone this Woolley MI could be.  Abraham 1855's aunt.  She was baptised 1840 and perhaps was unmarried?!

Do you know if there is a list of MI's for Cold Ashton and Marshfield, Gloucestershire?!  It seems the Stone's may be been gradually making their way south!  I've found a 1743 will for Abraham c1700 listing his wife and children who I had kind of already guessed anyway.

Regards, Steven

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 23 April 16 23:24 BST (UK) »
Yes, that aunt Mary is a distinct possibility. I didn't know about her. I hadn't seen the will before, I don't think Ancestry had those Gloucestershire records when I looked before.

I'd never heard of Bix in Marshfield before either. I think it must be what is now called Beeks Farm, about 2 miles SW of Marshfield village, near the boundaries with Cold Ashton and St Catherine (Somerset)  parishes.

As for MIs, there is an old book called 'Historical, Monumental and Genealogical Collections relative to the county of Gloucester' by Ralph Bigland, which I know has MIs from Cold Ashton and it may have Marshfield as well, but I do not have a copy. There's a fuller description here

http://www.parishchest.com/gloucestershire_-_bigland__P8826

They sell a CD of the original version which only covers parishes from A - N. You may be able to get it cheaper from eBay or similar, or view it on microfilm at a Family History Centre.

David

Offline bitzar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 24 April 16 03:26 BST (UK) »
David

Thanks again for your wealth of knowledge. 

I couldn't see this 'Bix' either!  It seems Beek's Farm has a long history but I can't see a Abraham Stone in it, even though he states he is a Yeoman.  I can find mention of owners before and after him though.  There is supposedly a map of 1744 showing a crude pic of Beek Mansion, now no longer standing.  Do you think Abraham was maybe near Beek's and not actually at Beek's?!  I also noticed how close Beek's is to Swainswick, etc.

I also noticed on Frances' death entry in 1771 for Cold Ashton, that she was late of Somersetshire.  I guess it all fits.  I suppose she was living with one of her children.

David I know this isn't 'your lot', so thanks again.

Regards, Steven.... and Amanda Stone.