Author Topic: Where is "Criglas Uchaf" in Felinwen (Whitemill), Abergwili?  (Read 3216 times)

Offline diplodicus

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Remember, no great adventure started with salad.
    • View Profile
Re: Where is "Criglas Uchaf" in Felinwen (Whitemill), Abergwili?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 10 December 15 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, a big "thank you" to those who have replied to my initial enquiry. I think (hope) I have solved the problem ...

John Davies' son David (1827-1899) ran The Plough Innn in Felingwm Uchaf as did his son Walter. In the census, Felingwm Uchaf is described as "the hamlet of Meiros" in the parish of Llanegwad even though it is the former that had the pub, shop, etc. On the Bartholomew's map, that I found thanks to Hanes Teulu's link, Crug las is shown 2½km to the west of Felingwm Uchaf. However, on the modern OS, it is identified as "Bryneiddan" at GR 485248.

I am assuming this is Criglas Uchaf until my next visit when I'll knock on the door and ask!
Thomas, Davies, Jones, Walters, Daniel in Carmarthenshire and Ceredigion. That should narrow it down a bit!
Vincent: Fressingfield, Suffolk, Stockton & Sunderland.
Murtha/Murtaugh: Dundalk & Sunderland
Ingram: Cairnie by Huntly, Scotland then Abergavenny, Monmouthshire.
Bardouleau: London - in memory of my stepmother Annie Rose née Bardouleau who put up with a lot from me.
gedmatch.com A006809
Kit uploaded to familytreedna.com B171041
Y-DNA R-M269 & mtDNA U5b1f

Offline Dai Mogs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 December 15 20:35 GMT (UK) »
 :)Thank you very much for this he is also my great * 4 grandfather, and I did not know this location. My line followed to the Plough in Felin Gwm and then Glynllydaw Farm just outside Brechfa and on to Ammanford.
Dai

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 April 16 13:39 BST (UK) »
husband plus siblings david, john,mary,jane, richard, lived at white mill farm Glantowy Abergwilly in 1880 & 1901

Posted on behalf of "halftidylike" who had clicked on the report to moderator button instead of the "reply" button ;) - Love the profile name ;D

Sarah

For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk