Author Topic: Advice on Removing Creases from a folded Map  (Read 536 times)

Offline g forgeron

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advice on Removing Creases from a folded Map
« on: Sunday 08 November 15 11:44 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this is the correct place to put my "problem", if not could someone redirect it if required ?

I have a paper copy of a map which has been stored badly folded. The result is that parts of it are undecipherable owing to the creases.

It is printed in black & white, on one side only

How do I remove such creases safely without damaging the map?

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Removing Creases
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 November 15 12:05 GMT (UK) »
There is a section for FH Documents and Artefacts.

Depending upon both the value and rarity of the map the general advice will probably be not to attempt it yourself. If you have or know anyone with a scanner you should start by scanning each page separately, at a high resolution, full colour, even if it is B&W. Then, either you or someone in the future can stitch it together using software; and maybe fill in the missing information.

You should also ask at your local reference library if they have a conservation department. They will be able to advise you on its value and rarity. If they do not do outside work themselves they should be able to put you in touch with a freelancer who can help. I have seen them use a tiny electric iron to unfold small bits that have turned over. But you may have actually lost detail.

What can you say about the map - scale, year of printing, location, publisher's reference etc. Was it designed to be folded? If so you can probably get a flat copy and save yourself a lot of trouble. Again it all depends on value.

Ken