Author Topic: Burial in Chapel Haddlesey  (Read 3403 times)

Offline scatchardfamily

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Burial in Chapel Haddlesey
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 January 16 02:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi there - thank you SO MUCH for your reply! I'm so sorry to have missed all these messages. I might have logged on (or at least appeared logged on) but I haven't really registered that anyone had replied. This is all very helpful indeed.

I have to digest now...

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 09:33 BST (UK) »
I just can't seem to get confirmation that my ancestors, Mark Scatchard and his wife Hannah (née Terry) were buried in Chapel Haddlesey.

They certainly died there, because I have the death certificates.

Mark died 23 Sep 1891 and Hanna 15 Jul 1872.

Can anyone help with the registers?

Hello

Just purchased scans of five Procter of Selby Wills to flush out anything new on Hood of Selby, for any clues (Wm's Hood's associates, initially look to have some possible leads).

Scatcherd of Haddlesey
In the Will of Thomas Procter of Selby Proved 1855 (written 4th September 1846) and just after Widow Hood at Gowthorpe and a William Hood at Millgate, Selby were mentioned, there is this reference to the Family of the late John Scatcherd renting One Twelfth of the Manor of Haddlesey from Thomas Procter of Selby.

Perhaps there might be surviving records of this Manor and references to Procter and possibly his Tenant Scatcherd?

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 February 23 16:13 GMT (UK) »
As far as I am aware, the burial registers for Chapel Haddlesey are still with the church.  AND there are burials at Chapel Haddlesey because I took some photographs when I visited last year.

However: 

Hannah Scatchard is buried at St Mary, Birkin - Hannah Scatchard aged 52 of Chapel Haddlesey was buried 18 July 1872.  There is an additional note - "drowned". 

No record for Mark.  The entry for Hannah is taken from a transcription by Pontefract & District FHS.

Interesting, found another with an apparent Skatchard link drowned, whilst searching the pages of the Wakefield, Yorkshire - Baptism, Burials and Marriages Registers for 1798 on Anc (from a Wakefield, Yorkshire and year date search only, it seems the images are there on Anc) ...

1798 Wakefield, Yorkshire.
Original top corner page numbering "P.13" amongst the Burials (Anc image number 15 in that particular group of Bap, Bur, Marr)

To bring the above particular group of images up for Wakefield, Yorks, we clicked on the 1798 search return for Charles Wormald (1798 to 1822) which opened another window with a find a grave link, but instead scrolled down the page, then clicked on the baptism image thumbnail under "Suggested Records"), then on the baptism image and then from image to image until the Burials are reached.

Wakefield, 1798 P.13 Burials
Skatchard Nettleton Newton)
George Roberts                       ) both drowned.

It looks from the Register as though Newton is a place in Wakefield, Yorkshire.

Mark