Author Topic: Has anyone heard of Clancy's Tavern in Pittsburgh,PA?  (Read 2267 times)

Offline caclancy

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • "Life's too short not to be Irish!"
    • View Profile
Has anyone heard of Clancy's Tavern in Pittsburgh,PA?
« on: Thursday 14 July 05 15:15 BST (UK) »
:D Hi there to you who is reading. Hope you are having a good day!

I hope you can help me a little. My great-grandfather owned a bar called Clancy's Tavern in Homewood (Pittsburgh), Pennsylvania from about 1926 until he retired in 1956. I heard it was a huge gathering for the Irish culture not only local but the visiting Irish as well. I heard rumours about connections of the IRA but no facts.

Has anyone heard of his tavern or have any stories they would like to share with me? I would just like to get a feel  for how it was like, etc.
I found a picture of it and it sparked my interest and imagination.

Thank you for your time.
                 caclancy ;D
surnames: Clancy,Horgan,Dunne,Lee,Roscoe,Loftus,Brosnan,Gorman,Filla,Eder
areas: Ireland-Cork co, Kerry co,Galway,Clare co, England-Lancashire,north England. Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh,Allegheny Co.
military: WW1,WW2,IRA and its history/Easter Rising of 1916 and the conflicts with the Black and Tans(england)

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone heard of Clancy's Tavern in Pittsburgh,PA?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 May 07 05:41 BST (UK) »
Hiya caclancy,

I wonder if a message on a site called Liam Clancy's Message Board might produce a response to your query?
I think a website such as Liams where members have an interest in Irish folksingers and their history in Ireland and abroad is probably the best place to post.

You might get a response from some of the Irish websites ... Buncrana.com and Belfastforum.co.uk I suggest these ones as I know one has members in the States interested in Irish traditional music and I'm certain some members of the other site have parents or grandparents and other relatives who most likely had connections with Irish traditional musicians and Showbands that toured in America. 

Christopher

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone heard of Clancy's Tavern in Pittsburgh,PA?
« Reply #2 on: Friday 18 January 08 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi caclancy,

I've received a message from an online friend in Ohio who is in the music industry. She has lots of Irish relatives in Pittsburgh who enjoy the craic and occasional pint. She has passed a message to them asking if they would search the area and get some info about Clancy's Tavern.

Christopher.