Author Topic: Internet Explorer  (Read 1444 times)

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Internet Explorer
« on: Tuesday 10 November 15 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Internet Explorer has decided to drive me mad. It never has been perfect, but for some unknown reason it is making my use of the internet impossible as it is so unpredictable. The problems include: either refusing or taking an age to load my home page (I use the BBC), and suddenly freezing and refusing to budge despite trying to refresh the page, recover the page, closing IE (sometimes it allows me to do this and sometimes it does not) and restarting my computer. I never seem to have more than about ten to fifteen minutes before it freezes, but the time is variable.  Unstable is an understatement.
I am using Windows 7 64bit and IE 11.
Please can anyone suggest why it has suddenly decided to play up and what I can do about it? I will apologise in advance to anyone who responds as I do not know when I will be able to reply. I have no other means of accessing the internet so am dependent upon this unstable browser.
Many thanks
Tofgem

Offline alanmack

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Internet Explorer
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 11:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi tofgem,
               Have you tried another browser? Firefox or Chrome? They can be downloaded free (If you can get them to via IE! ???)

alanmack
Glamorgan - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Watkins, Rees, Bevan
Wiltshire - Carpenter, Chamberlain, Ellis, Merrett
Essex - Burdon, Taylor, Menzies
Canada - Burdon, Parkinson
Australia - Carpenter, Burdon

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 12:42 GMT (UK) »
I haven't used Internet Exploder for years!

Have you checked if there are any software updates outstanding?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 13:14 GMT (UK) »
I am having the opposite problem. I had my computer worked on a few weeks ago and Internet Explorer was taken away. Now I cannot get images from ScotlandsPeople. I pay for them and they are recorded by ScotlandsPeople so I do not lose my money but they are not there without  Internet Explorer. 

Offline mrsruz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 13:21 GMT (UK) »
If it´s any consolation, I am having exactly the same problem with Firefox & like you, have no other means of using the internet.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I've not used IE for years, I was always having problems with it.  I use Firefox and it is fine, I can get downloads from Scotlandspeople, I can get straight to BBC Home page or any other webpage without any problems.  I use Windows 10.  Perhaps it's more to do with Windows 7 than IE.

Offline jusnoneed

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I used to get problems with IE so downloaded Chrome and use that for everything.

Barry, can't you download Explorer if you want to use it?
Masters, Parker, A'Court, Cary(ey), Cannon, Oram, Reynolds, Hennessy, Chislett,
Somerset
Muspratt,Pitman - Wiltshire, Dorset
Treasure - Stoke Lane & Sherborne

Offline Roger The Hat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 14:09 GMT (UK) »
I would try Tools>Internet Options>Advanced>Reset.
You might lose any customisations you've made, but I can't think of anything else at the moment.
Good luck.
 :) 

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 November 15 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone. I don’t think that I have time (before I am frozen out!) to thank everyone individually. I had a feeling that the answer would be to use another browser. I only hope that when I choose to download it I have sufficient time before everything crashes.
I have all the available updates to IE and I suspect that one of these may be responsible for my problems. However, I cannot remember when the real problems started so I cannot correlate this with an update.
I receive my emails through Windows Live mail which I can access through IE. How will this be affected using another browser?
I had thought about the reset option for IE, but I was apprehensive about the customizations I have made – I haven’t a clue what I have done, so I would be unable to reinstate them. Am I correct in assuming that I will lose all my favourites if I reset??
Tofgem

PS I’m glad that I wrote this in Word first as the first time I tried to post it. Guess what????????????