Author Topic: 1939 Register up and running (Part 3)  (Read 38256 times)

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Register up and running (Part 3)
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 15 November 15 10:46 GMT (UK) »
I realise they ned to recoup their charges, was thinking of an extra supplement to the subscription packages
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 15 November 15 11:06 GMT (UK) »

Anyone know how long it will be before we hear if our request to un redact the people who we've provided death certs for? They emailed saying 14 days,but as I did all 3 of mine on 2nd November,that date has already passed.

I sent a request and the emailed response was " 10 working days after the request was submitted";  I'm guessing that they work Mon-Fri, so I should hear by Tuesday.

Nanny Jan

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 15 November 15 11:15 GMT (UK) »
Anyone know how long it will be before we hear if our request to un redact the people who we've provided death certs for? They emailed saying 14 days,but as I did all 3 of mine on 2nd November,that date has already passed.

I'd imagine they've been inundated with requests so it'll probably take a bit longer at the moment

They need to recoup a large proportion of the money they've spent to digistise them,and until they do they will not include them in the subscription packages.

Also, if they include them in the subscription fairly soon, it's pretty unfair on the people who have splashed out on pay-per-view credits to see them sooner.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 15 November 15 11:35 GMT (UK) »
They need to recoup a large proportion of the money they've spent to digistise them,and until they do they will not include them in the subscription packages.

Also, if they include them in the subscription fairly soon, it's pretty unfair on the people who have splashed out on pay-per-view credits to see them sooner.
[/quote]

I was more thinking of the earlier decision process that decided to recoup their outlay via PAYG versus an increase/supplement in the subscription

Presumably a number of charging models were considered and the PAYG won out. I wondered if there was any informed opinions about how much a better a model it was considered to be

Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Sunday 15 November 15 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Presumably a number of charging models were considered and the PAYG won out.

I would imagine FindMyPast weighed up both options and picked the most financially viable for them - they're professionals after all.

Personally though, I would rather pay a supplement (say the cost of about 10 households on PAYG?) and have unlimited access, and I think they would attract a lot of people who are unwilling to splash out on PAYG at this moment. Would they recoup their costs more effectively this way? Seems like a better way to me, but I'm sure FindMyPast have done their research properly.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 15 November 15 12:25 GMT (UK) »
If they included it in the package it would then be available for doing looks ups for other people. Would we then have to be restricted like we are for the 1911.  :-\

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Sunday 15 November 15 13:18 GMT (UK) »

It is not just the costs to digitise the records, Findmypast have invested hugely in the cost of conserving nearly 7000 volumes that form the 1939 National Register.
In addition they have covered the cost of creating the official digital record, indexing more than 40 million individuals listed in the records as well as providing a complex technical solution which enables the redaction of closed records from each image as necessary.
This multi-million pound project was on a significantly different scale and complexity from all previous digitisation projects and completed without any public subsidy something the National Archives could not have done alone.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Sunday 15 November 15 13:20 GMT (UK) »

I'm lucky in that Hull City archives have put all their local WWII Civil Defence members online (Wardens, Fire Fighters, etc) and they don't seem to have bothered about death dates,  but maybe they didn't know the ages.

Rena, could I ask you for a link to this? I've looked on their website, seen where they say they have these records but can't for the life of me find how to search for a specific person. I know my mother was in the ATS and my auntie was an ambulance driver.

Thanks.
Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 15 November 15 13:24 GMT (UK) »

Can someone please tell me where any changes are noted? There are no changes or additions to the record I have purchased. There are no maps, photos, newspapers, or statistics either as promised on the Find My Past 1939 Register "home page". Where can I find all these additional things?

If you look at the 1939 Register image at http://www.rootschat.com/links/01eoz/ you will see changes of surname both in pencil and in green ink, one of them also has a date (possible date of marriage) related to the change.

The maps, photos, newspapers, or statistics, etc. may be found if you scroll down the preview page below the box which details the household.

Cheers
Guy

Thank you very much Guy.

Added: Sadly no amendments to my family of interest.
I found the map, statistics and photo (which was completely irrelevant and related to a different part of the country) and a "newspaper article".  ::) I think these "features" are useless add ons which are promoted as being of relevance but are of no real value. The map is the most useful showing the address, however I could look that up on google maps, or elsewhere .... overall, a bit disappointing.