Author Topic: Finding the missing link; Thompson and Cadwell  (Read 2754 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding the missing link; Thompson and Cadwell
« Reply #9 on: Friday 13 November 15 12:44 GMT (UK) »
James T's; (I think)
James Thompson 1857 West Rainton, D and,
Ellen est 1854 Rainton

I can see Ellen b abt 1853-4 Rainton/West Rainton, as follows:

1881 in Hetton le Hole: Ellen Thompson wid 27 with sons James 7, George 5, William 2.
1891 in Hetton le Hole: Ellen Thompson wid 37 with sons James 17, George 15, William 12.

What's the source for the children's father being a James?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 13 November 15 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Durham Records Online has a baptism for a James Thompson in Houghton le Spring district 1873, abode West Rainton.  This result comes up positive in a free search specifying mother as Ellen, but if you add in father James there is no result.

You'd need to purchase the record to see full details.

www.durhamrecordsonline.com
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 November 15 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Durham Records Online has a baptism for a James Thompson in Houghton le Spring district 1873, abode West Rainton.  This result comes up positive in a free search specifying mother as Ellen, but if you add in father James there is no result.

You'd need to purchase the record to see full details.

www.durhamrecordsonline.com

I haven't looked at the record but the father was John.   All guesses & suppositions without a certificate, but I note that William was born Hendon c1879 and there is a death of a John Thompson aged 26 registered 1880 in Sunderland.

A possibility for John Thompson living in West Rainton in 1871, born 1852 Axby (?) Yorkshire & possibly living in Ingleby Barwick, Stockton in 1861, place of birth looks like Acksley, Yorkshire.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 14 November 15 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi KGarrad, I'm hoping that there wasn't a family spelling error along the way and the surname Cadwell was correctly passed on rather than Caldwell. I realise there are lots of Caldwells around the area but not that many Cadwells.
the family members I'm familiar with are all Cadwell. Just trying to work back with the basis that you mentioned, that it was probably someone's maiden name way back. the question is 'whose?'
Cheers, JT
HENDERSON Archaracle Ardnamurchan/Kilninian & Kilmore/Alexandria/Bonhill/Greenoch/Luss, GOUDIE Bruncranna Donegal Ireland, GRAHAM Jamestown Dumbartonshire, GRAHAM Old Monkland Lanarkshire, McLACHLAN, MCEACHERN McPHERSON CAMERON Morvern Isle of Mull, RALSTON Kilsyth, ROSS, BRITTON/BRETON Kilsyth, GRAHAM Kilsyth,  TURNBULL Green Hill Easington, MURPHY, PERRIE Scotland, YOUNG Scotland, STEEL Scotland, THOMPSON Durham Houghton Le Spring.

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 14 November 15 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Avm228,
Yes all the right people so far! I don't have the marriage cert for James and Rebecca, but I have the birth cert. for Richard Cadwell, so I know they're the right parents at least. Their address was 50 Brickgarth, Easington Lane at the time of his birth.
My father-in-law remembers the uncles & aunt Edith and at least one of the Robbins 'step-uncles' as he came to Australia too. Due to budget, :) I'm hoping to skip a generation's certs. here and there but I may have to order the marriage cert you mention for further confirmation as there are a few possibilities for James T's parents, although I'm pretty certain that Rebecca Turnbull is the daughter of Alexander Turnbull and Elizabeth ?.
thanks for the confirmations so far. Cheers, JT
HENDERSON Archaracle Ardnamurchan/Kilninian & Kilmore/Alexandria/Bonhill/Greenoch/Luss, GOUDIE Bruncranna Donegal Ireland, GRAHAM Jamestown Dumbartonshire, GRAHAM Old Monkland Lanarkshire, McLACHLAN, MCEACHERN McPHERSON CAMERON Morvern Isle of Mull, RALSTON Kilsyth, ROSS, BRITTON/BRETON Kilsyth, GRAHAM Kilsyth,  TURNBULL Green Hill Easington, MURPHY, PERRIE Scotland, YOUNG Scotland, STEEL Scotland, THOMPSON Durham Houghton Le Spring.

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 14 November 15 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jomot, Avm228 & others!,
You're right James was really only supposition, I did have John pencilled in as a possibility but nothing further. There are so many James' I keep getting my generations mixed up!
This is also where the geography throws me, I have to keep referring to maps on-line to check where each town is and half the time, I'm not sure if it's a street name, town name or parish area etc.
And sorry posted my last comment before I realised there were more comments :)
Cheers, JT

Offline SelDen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 14 November 15 08:55 GMT (UK) »
Apologies if you know this, but it is much cheaper to order certificates directly from the General Register Office than to go through a commercial outfit:

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

And of course you can usually get the index references from www.freebmd.org.uk

Offline thomo7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 14 November 15 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi SelDen, thanks for that - I have ordered one certificate through gro but wasn't sure about the references from freebdm. Good to know. cheers

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 14 November 15 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi SelDen, thanks for that - I have ordered one certificate through gro but wasn't sure about the references from freebdm. Good to know. cheers

It's a UK site, so it's FreeBMD!

We do it chronologically - Birth, Marriage, Death. ;D ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)