Author Topic: Tracing Grandfather Arthur Lloyd Jones from Rhyl  (Read 3240 times)

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Grandfather from Rhyl
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 November 15 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Eldon - the "off-licence" that I used to go to was a shop, it wasn't part of a pub.  It was on Ashley Road, Hale but I have no idea what the name of the owner was.   There were "chains" in those days, like Boots, Freeman, Hardy and Willis, Home and Colonial stores, but I don't remember the "off licence" having a well known name.

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 19 November 15 13:07 GMT (UK) »
The only answer I can think of is that the pub landlord owned the shop, and it became an extension to his pub off licence. 

Black Adder. The Rhyl journal is online up to 1914, and you may be able to find adverts. The old town hall in the advert of my previous post was situated in High St.
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 November 15 14:26 GMT (UK) »
I've no idea but it was at least half a mile or more from the nearest pub.  Unfortunately, both my parents are dead, or I could have asked them, all I know is that we called it the off licence.

I've just remembered that in the late 1950s/early 1960s my husband used to go to an off licence in Sale, Cheshire for 8 bottles of Guinness and 40 cigarettes for his father - every night  ::)  Not surprisingly his father died aged 57.  Perhaps Cheshire was ahead of the 1964 Act.

Offline Black Adder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 22 November 15 15:22 GMT (UK) »
The only answer I can think of is that the pub landlord owned the shop, and it became an extension to his pub off licence. 

Black Adder. The Rhyl journal is online up to 1914, and you may be able to find adverts. The old town hall in the advert of my previous post was situated in High St.

Eldon, Many, many thanks for the idea of the Journal Archive. I found the obituary of my Great Grandfather Joseph Jones who was a well-known Tobacco Salesman.
It is here together with a photo. I reckon he might be the one on the right of the photo outside the Bee. Agreed?
http://newspapers.library.wales/view/3629072/3629078/55/Joseph%20Jones%20+Tobacco

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 22 November 15 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Looks like a good match to me.As Eldon said however,the pattern on the tiles in the original photo is different to that of the current ones at The Bee.Funnily enough the only alternative I thought of,and I have no idea why,was Foulkes Bar in High Street.Unfortunately my memory doesn't quite stretch to what it looked like.
The old cemetery referred to was lawned over some years ago,but Rhyl Library has a plan/index of the burials legible at the time.

Regards
Roger

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Tracing Grandfather Arthur Lloyd Jones from Rhyl
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 13:45 GMT (UK) »
My money is on the man sitting in the middle. He has same shirt collar and  uses a stick.

If you scroll to the left of the newspaper page you will see an advert for wine merchant at 73 High Street. (Don't know about the fountain) Maybe the same place? Not sure what it is today.

Offline Black Adder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I think I agree, Eldon, and I guess that must be his wife (my great grandmother) next to him. She pre-deceased him by 3 months.
73 High Street is now Greggs but that part of High Street seems to be pedestrianised so you can't actually see it on Street View.

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 20:55 GMT (UK) »
My wife has showed me a picture of Steers wine merchant at 73 High Street, which is the next to last building at the top of High Street next to the prom (circa Edwardian). It is at an angle so I could not see the front. She has also showed me a more modern one with Woolworths opposite.
These are all on  Facebook under 'we love old Rhyl'.
This as not answered your question re the photograph, but given that this place is very close to the theatres on the prom, it may be worth further exploration.