Author Topic: James Egan - trying to unravel two lines  (Read 2677 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Egan - trying to unravel two lines
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 15 November 15 21:29 GMT (UK) »
Re 1841: if the Kensington family was in or near Sutton St they will not be found - the relevant piece is known to be missing.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 15 November 15 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Re 1841: if the Kensington family was in or near Sutton St they will not be found - the relevant piece is known to be missing.

Typical!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 15 November 15 21:35 GMT (UK) »

Typical!

Indeed!
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline ShaCollins24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 16 November 15 06:09 GMT (UK) »
I agree BumbleB ( I think!) if Maria was Elizabeth Maria Snow she isn't the right one. Only one solution to this - the birth certificate.  ;D

The puzzle also is where is the other family in 1841?

Yes this is a puzzle as I have tried every possible search to find them. I will continue though. Birth certificate will be ordered this week.
Researching: Collins-Hertfordshire, Chiswick and London areas; Johnson and Egan in Hammersmith; Gurney - Brentford; Goodhew - Essex.

Offline ShaCollins24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 16 November 15 06:10 GMT (UK) »

Ahhh, I was wondering!!
Researching: Collins-Hertfordshire, Chiswick and London areas; Johnson and Egan in Hammersmith; Gurney - Brentford; Goodhew - Essex.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 16 November 15 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Just one or two pieces of information (hopefully not adding  to the confusion).

The address of the family in the 1861 census posted by Judy2632 on page 1 is 3 Kensington Place. There is a marriage at St John's Notting Hill in 1865 (5 March) between a John Egan and Amelia Wright. John Egan is a baker , address 3 Kensington Place. His father is named as James Egan but his occupation is given as schoolmaster! ( Noting that this is the  same church where James Gibbs married Susan Gibbs might they have been "creative " when giving father's occupation).

Maria Egan has been transcribed as Egar on the 1871 census.

Address 5 Waldigrave Terrace

Maria 54 Laundress b Dulverton, Somerset (age difficult to read - could be 56 or 50)
Ellen 32 Nurse? domestic b Kensington
William 24 House painter b Kensington
Alice 16                          b Hammersmith

There is also a workhouse admission in 1876 in Fulham (March 16th) for Maria Egan born 1816 - calling ironer, religious persuasion RC. There is  a death in the 2nd Quarter 1876 in Fulham of a Maria Egan b 1816. ( Note that a public tree on acy.has Maria Egan's death in 1893 and a probate entry - I think that that is a different Maria as 1891 census gives her place of birth as Ireland).

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline ShaCollins24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 16 November 15 20:00 GMT (UK) »
With this family I have come to realize that they mostly made things up. For instance. James and Susan's eldest son in one census states he was born in Ireland which is clearly untrue as his birth was registered in Hammersmith and he was also baptised there.
Therefore it wouldn't surprise me if they bent the truth a bit on occupations.

Sharon

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 16 November 15 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Sharon

If James Egan's mother does indeed turn out to be Maria Snow you might find it useful to look at Freereg  and Genuki (go to Somerset pages and then Dulverton Parish) where there are useful transcriptions of bmds. From this to add to the baptism for Maria Snow 1 April 1816, Dulverton, father John Snow's occupation was maltster. There is a possible marriage in the parish of Upton 13 Dec 1808 of John Snow and Mary Chidgey - groom parish Dulverton. Upton Parish includes Wittington. Could this be the Mary Snow referred to  earlier in the thread in the 1851 census?

Hope you will let us know if our theorizing is correct when the cert arrives!

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline ShaCollins24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 23 November 15 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Came home from work today to find the certificate had arrived.

James Patrick Egan born 6 March 1840, Sutton Street
Father James Egan
Mother Maria Snow.

So puzzle is solved and I was correct that some of the trees on ancestry are confusing the two families.

Sharon