Author Topic: totally tempted to tell  (Read 5963 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: totally tempted to tell
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 November 15 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for responses, some interesting stories.

Still contemplating. 

??? ::) ::) is it worth it

xin

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 November 15 10:08 GMT (UK) »
The tree is perhaps, deliberately wrong, due to the "Cut and paste" mentality of those who do not research properly. They may have been burned by copying someone elses. Since there has been no activity on the tree for some time now, he/she may now be playing a waiting game fo reactions from others.
Me personally, I would ignore it, as you may get the "who are you to tell me" attitude response.

Regards

Malky

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 November 15 10:09 GMT (UK) »
The other alternative if they ignore you, is to add comments to their tree, which you can do if it is on Ancestry. That way, if if they take no notice, others who look at it may be alerted to mistakes.

This is something I felt compelled to do as one tree had a photo of one of my Ancestors wrongly named in their tree...I told them that I had the same photo and that the person lost their life in WW1...their tree had this same individual married with the wrong Family  >:( It was, in this case an easy mistake to make as there was two people who had the same name, born in the same area one year apart.
I sent them a message and they didn't respond or change the info so I put a public comment and the person changed the information. People are reluctant to change what they believe to be true, even when presented with the evidence because it messes up their tree.

I would tell them and take Groom's advice if you don't get a favourable response...I believe we owe it to related researchers to keep it real and stick to proven facts. Otherwise it ends up being a piece of fiction.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 November 15 15:47 GMT (UK) »
I'm afraid I'd feel I had to tell them. Then it's up to them, but I hope they'd at least look again, to check out what they have, and consider if they may be mistaken.
I hope someone will tell me if I ever get climbing out along a branch that's not really attached to my tree, before I fall off it with egg all over my face.
I nearly did once, researched what seemed like the right parentage ... but somehow it didn't quite seem to "fit" properly, so I went right back and started again ... and found I'd slid over onto a cousin, with the same names of children, almost the same ages, and in the same general area! I could so easily have adopted this branch as the right ones! Even the job fitted.
At present I'm going cross-eyed trying to search into the back-story of a chap who spent 2 censuses with a direct ancestor, claiming her as his wife (I don't think they married at all!) before she goes off in the next census and claims to be married to another chap (and I know he was married to someone else!) but I can't find him before or after, and he claims two different dates of birth, nearly ten years apart! I've found someone who so nearly fits .... but no proof, so can't get there.
Isn't it frustrating? But isn't it satisfying when we do get an awkward so-and-so of an ancestor finally pinned?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 November 15 16:29 GMT (UK) »
Tell them about Rootschat - it sounds as though they are in desperate need of proper advice!
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 November 15 17:29 GMT (UK) »
It seems to me that only genuine researchers wanting accuracy would be happy to receive any corrections and act on it. Those who don't must be copiers who aren't interested enough to do any research. Just my opinion xin.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 17 November 15 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Well  - I sent a note to them, so we will see - probably no response.

But I do feel better .

xin  ;)

Offline Helen D

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 16:15 GMT (UK) »
I found one who had my mother marrying twice, and I did correct her! The annoying thing was that if she had asked my cousin, she would have been put right ( I did not know her, she was my cousins relative) - it was just lazy researching on her part, and she did apologise to me ::). If it is a distant branch I usually ignore it.
Dowdell, Pressley, Snook, Read, Hurle, Small, Cannings .....  Wiltshire
Fitzgerald, Greenhill .... London
Thursfield, Newey, Berrisford, Wood, Hulme ..... Warwickshire/Staffordshire
Ditchfield, Unsworth, Clarke, Perrin, Orrett .... Cheshire/Lancs
Jones ..... N Wales

Offline jettejjane

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad - 9 times Mayor of Arundel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 19 November 15 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Xin, I would contact them and then forget about it. I have learned the hard way not to get wound up about incorrect details or to expect an immediate reply (or any replies!)

I contacted two people who were seeking relatives and info  on maternal  Grandmother s family in Ireland. That was 3 weeks ago, have heard nothing. Had put it out of my mind until I read this. It is a shame because the Irish side is tricky. It could possibly be a great help to me and I could help them.

It slightly annoys me because they were asking for people to contact them. Both were active on ancestry.

Jane
Redman, Jupp, Brockhurst of West Sussex
Moore County Down. Redman of Posey, Indiana, USA Emigrated 1820