Author Topic: which Church in Limerigg?  (Read 3881 times)

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: which Church in Limerigg?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 03 December 15 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Dear Nerys,

Hi its me again - just had a thought and went on to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and did a search of valuation rolls and it has come up with a hit.

1925  Owner/Occupier - Edward Findlay  - House  -  Lochend Cottage, Limerigg, Slamannan, Parish of New Monkland  -  County of Lanark.

Its a pay site (don't know if you have used it but its the best one for Scottish Records). It costs £7.00 for 30 credits. Unfortunately I don't have any left to look at the full entry.

Hope this helps.

Dorrie :)
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 December 15 19:04 GMT (UK) »
My daughter and her colleagues say that the Session Records of the Church of Scotland are held by the National Archives of Scotland  www.nas.gov/about/101101 and this is where you are most likely to find him mentioned. Don't know if they are available online.
No, they're not.

Also, according to the online catalogue at the National Archives Records of Scotland the Slamannan Church of Scotland records are not held by the National Archives Records of Scotland, but by Falkirk Archives. See http://catalogue.nrscotland.gov.uk/nrsonlinecatalogue/search.aspx and put CH2/331 in the box labelled 'Reference'. then search.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 03 December 15 20:55 GMT (UK) »
OK Forfarian, thanks for correcting my daughter and her colleagues error on where the Session Records for SLAMANNAN are actually held. They were only trying to be helpful and took time to find out as much as they could. Obviously they are unaware of where  INDIVIDUAL records are actually held.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 03 December 15 22:45 GMT (UK) »
OK Forfarian, thanks for correcting my daughter and her colleagues error on where the Session Records for SLAMANNAN are actually held. They were only trying to be helpful and took time to find out as much as they could. Obviously they are unaware of where  INDIVIDUAL records are actually held.

Your daughter and colleagues are perfectly correct in saying that the Kirk Session records are in the National Archives of Scotland, which have recently changed their name to National Records of Scotland. The vast majority of the KS records are indeed there.

However I thought it might be helpful to find the NRS catalogue reference by searching the NRS catalogue, and I too was surprised to find that the Slamannan KS records have apparently escaped the net of the NRS.

I do not see this as 'correcting an error', merely as amplifying the information your daughter and colleagues have helpfully provided.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Scottish Janealogy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 04 December 15 11:38 GMT (UK) »
The situation is even more complicated!! If you look at individual records starting with the reference CH2/331 you will find that some have been digitally imaged and some, apparently, have not. The digitally imaged volumes are viewable at the National Records of Scotland in Edinburgh. I've found that the NRS catalogue is not always completely accurate about which volumes have been imaged and which have not so I'd advise a phone call to check with Historical Searchroom staff.

Hope this helps.

Offline mosstrooper

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 04 December 15 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Dear Nerys,

Hi its me again - just had a thought and went on to www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and did a search of valuation rolls and it has come up with a hit.

1925  Owner/Occupier - Edward Findlay  - House  -  Lochend Cottage, Limerigg, Slamannan, Parish of New Monkland  -  County of Lanark.

Its a pay site (don't know if you have used it but its the best one for Scottish Records). It costs £7.00 for 30 credits. Unfortunately I don't have any left to look at the full entry.

Hope this helps.

Dorrie :)

Lochend Cottage was on the other side of the road from Heatherfield and is marked on maps of that era.
James.