Author Topic: WWI Service Medal 1914-1920 more info please?  (Read 3828 times)

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
WWI Service Medal 1914-1920 more info please?
« on: Monday 16 November 15 13:57 GMT (UK) »
I have a Thomas Richard Startup born 8 apr 1870 (Eastry, Kent, England) no death details.

His father was a lifelong naval man (see other thread) but it appears he was called up for the 1st war, i've found a few references to his medal card (all charging so i can't see it) but nothing further with dates/what he did/where he went etc.
Medal record links include http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D5362503

The only info i have is from A*try (WWI Service Medal and Award Rolls, 1914-1920) but it's very basic and i can't find any further mention. He's on various census so i don't think he served for long, but all i have is;
British War Medal and Victory Medal serving with the Queen's Own (Royal West Kent) Regiment (Previous Units   1/RWK. GS/5120. Pte)

Can anyone shed any light, offer further certificates or suggestions of where i should be looking please?

Many thanks
Primarily Startup, Dickson & Cranston, with branches in baggs, Cheetham, Keir, Fosyth, Marshall & Logan. Regions mainly Scotland & the borders & Greater London area.
Many Naval ancestors and connections to Canada & American.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WWI Service Medal 1914-1920 more info please?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 November 15 14:21 GMT (UK) »
You can take a free 14 day trial of Ancestry They have the same card, but in colour. The NA cards are in black & white and you get six men together. That link is for an army man.

The NA page that you used to get to that link describes the medals and awards most service men received. If they entered a theatre of war before 1st January 1916 they received a Star. All service men who served overseas in a war zone received both the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

Ken

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 November 15 14:49 GMT (UK) »
You can take a free 14 day trial of Ancestry They have the same card, but in colour. The NA cards are in black & white and you get six men together. That link is for an army man.

The NA page that you used to get to that link describes the medals and awards most service men received. If they entered a theatre of war before 1st January 1916 they received a Star. All service men who served overseas in a war zone received both the British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

Ken

i have a subscription to ance*try but it wasn't finding anything, would you have a link if you have found it?
I didn't use a NA link to get to it - if there's a part i've missed that you know about please tell me?

I would like to be able to find what/where he did rather than general war terms, if it's possible
Primarily Startup, Dickson & Cranston, with branches in baggs, Cheetham, Keir, Fosyth, Marshall & Logan. Regions mainly Scotland & the borders & Greater London area.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 November 15 15:06 GMT (UK) »
About seventy percent of WW1 records were lost in a fire in WW2, so it is highly likely the medal information is all you will find, these  were kept separately which why they survive.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 November 15 16:53 GMT (UK) »
The Long Long Trail website is a good starting point to find out what the Royal West Kents did in the war (but is rather short on detail):    http://www.1914-1918.net/rwk.htm

The National Archive    http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/30bd1e6d-c8db-4810-87e6-f02acdb33030    gives a link to Royal West Kent records held in Kent History & Library Centre.

hut-six lists threre Startups serving in the RWK who may be related:   http://www.hut-six.co.uk/GreatWar/WestKent_S.html

Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 November 15 18:47 GMT (UK) »
The Long Long Trail website is a good starting point to find out what the Royal West Kents did in the war (but is rather short on detail):    http://www.1914-1918.net/rwk.htm

The National Archive    http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/rd/30bd1e6d-c8db-4810-87e6-f02acdb33030    gives a link to Royal West Kent records held in Kent History & Library Centre.

hut-six lists threre Startups serving in the RWK who may be related:   http://www.hut-six.co.uk/GreatWar/WestKent_S.html

Thanks for this - i suspect the other startups on www.hut-six.co.uk are related but without being able to access more info i can't be certain.
With the national archives i've not been able to find which battalion he was with and without that i can't tell much, the same problem applies with the Long Long Trail website, i need a battalion to get any meaningful info :/

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 20 November 15 18:19 GMT (UK) »
His MRC has him entering the War 29th April 1915 and Discharged 22nd May 1918.

He was entitled to:

• 1915 Star
    British War Medal
    Victory Medal

As he was discharged before the end of the War, I checked the Silver War Badge Roll where he appears with a bit more information.

He enlisted 23rd Dec 1914 and was discharged due to wounds received in action although there is one puzzling detail, he gives his age as 26?

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 20 November 15 19:03 GMT (UK) »

He was entitled to:

• 1915 Star
    British War Medal
    Victory Medal

As he was discharged before the end of the War, I checked the Silver War Badge Roll where he appears with a bit more information.

He enlisted 23rd Dec 1914 and was discharged due to wounds received in action although there is one puzzling detail, he gives his age as 26?

David
thanks for looking at this - the 1871 1881 & 1891 census are pretty clear on his age all agreeing with 1869/70 as a birth year. At 1918 he would have been around 44. He did have a some (william thomas startup) born 1903 but mistaking that 15yr old for a 26yr old seems as far fetched.

I can only think it's slightly illegible writting or the wrong person, Startup was a more common name then, than I expected.
Does it give any further info that i might be able to check again the tree/info that i have? Sorry but i've never seen the records you mention (what's MRC?) so i'm not sure what you can access

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 November 15 19:10 GMT (UK) »

He was entitled to:

• 1915 Star
    British War Medal
    Victory Medal

David

i'm realising he would have been 46 when enlisted...is it possibly a 'typo' ?