Author Topic: WWI Service Medal 1914-1920 more info please?  (Read 3825 times)

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WWI Service Medal 1914-1920 more info please?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 November 15 20:08 GMT (UK) »
MRC Medal Record Card, It could be a typo, that would be my best guess as there's no other Thomas Startup that fits the bill. Or, he could of lied about his age?
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 November 15 20:12 GMT (UK) »
MRC Medal Record Card, It could be a typo, that would be my best guess as there's no other Thomas Startup that fits the bill. Or, he could of lied about his age?

Any 46yr old man who can convincingly pass for 26 deserves a medal!
It does make me wonder what his injuries were though if the age difference wasn't obvious to anyone treating him, fully body burns?  Please do let me know if there's anything at all on the records you're able to see or if there's somewhere i can view them myself (as screenshot would be wonderful if not)
Primarily Startup, Dickson & Cranston, with branches in baggs, Cheetham, Keir, Fosyth, Marshall & Logan. Regions mainly Scotland & the borders & Greater London area.
Many Naval ancestors and connections to Canada & American.

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 20 November 15 20:31 GMT (UK) »
As far as I can remember it's discharged due to the fact that he's no longer fit for active service due to wounds or sickness (in his case wounds).

As for other information, unless you can find his service record or any subsequent medical records there's not much hope I'm afraid.

Your only other source would be the War Diary, some of which are on A*****ry under Unit Histories.

If I were a betting man I would try 20th March to 9th April 1918 due to the German Spring Offensive and the fact the the 6th, 7th and 8th  RWK's were in the thick of it. He most likely wont get mentioned by name but it'll give you an idea of where and when.

David
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 20 November 15 20:36 GMT (UK) »
thank you for your help,
as i get further into my family tree (unsurprisingly) i'm finding more and more who served in WW1 so it would be helpful to know where i should be looking for their info but i'm trying hard to focus on one person at a time, there's just sooooooo much to learn and do i'm losing the lives amoungst all the dates

Primarily Startup, Dickson & Cranston, with branches in baggs, Cheetham, Keir, Fosyth, Marshall & Logan. Regions mainly Scotland & the borders & Greater London area.

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 November 15 23:05 GMT (UK) »
There are so many different sites you can use that will give you little nuggets of information.

I use the 3 main Family History sites as a base then move on to the others like Forces War Records, 1914-1918 the long long trail, this one, and other forums along with the web in general.

With those you should be able to find something to give you a good picture.

Then there's always the Regimental Museums, National Archives and National Museums if you've got the time?

David

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 21 November 15 01:11 GMT (UK) »
Regimental Museums are brilliant, especially if the librarian happens to be a helpful type.

RRTB

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 21 November 15 01:33 GMT (UK) »
That age of 26 is a bit if a problem and it would be good to look again at evidence....

Looking at that medal card link from National Archive you give for Thomas Startup...It does not give a middle name (Richard) which would be good supporting evidence it is your man. The silver war badge record does not say Richard either (and also has age 26).

JCJC  Do you have other information tying your man to this regiment and/or with this number? (on a marriage/birth certificate for example?).What leads you to think this is the right medal card and therefore the right man? Is it possible he did not serve in WW1 or do you have family stories, photos etc that suggest he did?

Without any other evidence I would say that as the Silver Badge record says age 26 (and that badge matches the medal card), it would seem most likely that this is not Thomas Richard born 1870 but another Thomas Startup born about 1892 (there are plenty born about that time)

Just for reference, here is earlier thread which shows Thomas having middle name Richard www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=734373.msg5797522#msg5797522

It also shows Thomas absent from family in 1901 census and not found elsewhere. So where was he? Was he abroad in army or navy perhaps? He was occupation Labourer in 1897 and 1903 on children's baptisms.

We can't do 1911 lookups..but have you found him in 1911 yet?

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 21 November 15 23:49 GMT (UK) »
No help with a military search but I think I found him in 1901. In hospital in The London Hospital, Whitechapel Road, Whitechapel which is not far from his family in Poplar.

He is just listed as Thomas Startup age 30 which gives a birth year of 1871 (only very slightly out and not unusual). Birthplace Deal, Kent which is close to Eastry. Married. Painters Labourer.

I can't see any other Thomas Startup from Deal born about 1871 so while is not 100% it looks very very likely to me.

If that is him it does mean you don't need to look for any military connection in 1901   

1901 census
RG13 Piece 304 Folio   37 Page   22
Thomas Startup, Patient
Marital status   Married
Age   30
Born Deal
Occupation    Painters Laborer
Parish   Whitechapel
Registration district   Whitechapel

Transcript here at the excellent free site familysearch.org
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9D6-KQ1
You can't see original image there but you can use details to find him on Ancestry (or other pay site)

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jcjc123

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 22 November 15 20:51 GMT (UK) »
No help with a military search but I think I found him in 1901. In hospital in The London Hospital, Whitechapel Road, Whitechapel which is not far from his family in Poplar.

He is just listed as Thomas Startup age 30 which gives a birth year of 1871 (only very slightly out and not unusual). Birthplace Deal, Kent which is close to Eastry. Married. Painters Labourer.

I can't see any other Thomas Startup from Deal born about 1871 so while is not 100% it looks very very likely to me.

If that is him it does mean you don't need to look for any military connection in 1901   

1901 census
RG13 Piece 304 Folio   37 Page   22
Thomas Startup, Patient
Marital status   Married
Age   30
Born Deal
Occupation    Painters Laborer
Parish   Whitechapel
Registration district   Whitechapel

Transcript here at the excellent free site familysearch.org
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9D6-KQ1
You can't see original image there but you can use details to find him on Ancestry (or other pay site)

Milly

thanks so much for this - i did wonder where he disapeared to (it just says 'not home' on the 1901 with his family) now i'm wondering what was wrong with him!
Can you tell me where you can see that it was the london hospital he was in?
the address on https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X9D6-KQ1 of Whitechapel, London, Middlesex, England doesn't give a street/hospital name - i'm guessing you know it's the only one there and i'm being dim?