Author Topic: 1912 Hawkchurch? Charles White & Florence Huxford  (Read 755 times)

Offline Naukit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1912 Hawkchurch? Charles White & Florence Huxford
« on: Monday 16 November 15 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I am looking for the marriage entry of Charles White and Florence Mary Huxford, possibly in Hawkchurch or eventually Axminster. I'd be grateful for any help or suggestions.
Thank you

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1912 Hawkchurch? Charles White & Florence Huxford
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 November 15 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Freebmd have marriage for Florence and Charles: Q3 1912 Axminster district  5b 23. No middle name is on the index for Florence. If you send for marriage cert from GRO, you will get the location of the marriage.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 November 15 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Are you just looking for where they married or more details about fathers etc?

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline Naukit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 16 November 15 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
Yes, I am actually looking for their father's names and would have hoped to have found them in the parish register rather than having to pay (yet another) £9.25 for a gro certificate.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 November 15 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Florence seems quite elusive - I have found her in 1911 (but cannot post details on here for copyright reasons). No sign of her in 1901 or 1891.
There is a Florence M White b 1886 and a Charles (Eli) White in the same household in Beaminster district on the 1939 register. No year of birth is listed for Charles on the free preview. I'm not sure why Eli is in brackets after Charles's name.
That would match with a birth registered Q4 1886 in Bridport district for Florence M Huxford.

I don't know whether this connects at all but there is a marriage of a George Huxford to Ann Brown in 1869. In 1871, Ann is living with her parents (John and Mary Brown) and there is a 2 month old baby Ida Letitia Brown in the household. In 1881, Ann is still with her parents, Ida is 10 and listed as Ida Huxford and there are two other Huxford children Fanny and Lucy, but still no sign of Ann's husband.
This family also seems to disappear in 1891 and 1901. I think the child Lucy may marry in 1902 in Axminster district and it looks like her husband might be James White
Ida Letitia Huxford married John Rowe at Monkton Wyld on 21 june 1893, record on Dorset OPC confirms her father is George Huxford occ gardener.
Curiously there is a married George Huxford, occupation also gardener on 1871 and 1891 censuses, married but no wife with him and with children whose birth predate the marriage between a George Huxford and Ann Brown. His year of birth is abt 1829 so quite a bit older than Ann (b abt 1849).

In 1901 Ida Rowe and children are visiting the Wareham family in Hawkchurch. That is James Wareham age 47, Ann Wareham (b abt 1849), and Wareham children including a Florence b abt 1886 and a Lucy b about 1881 - seems like a lot of coincidences here.

Offline Naukit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 November 15 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for all that research. Yes - a very "interesting" family! It would seem that Florence's mother Ann, after having an illlegitimate son, married George Huxford and then had all the other children. Then on 1911 census she describes herself as "single" and is living with James Wareham (the 1891 lodger!) Her daughter Florence obviously married Charles White. I have the birth certificate for her daughter Margaret Dorothy Huxford, born 1902 when Florence was barely 16 years old, but no father mentioned, so I don't know whether Charles White was the father or not... They only married ten years later.
It was very kind of you to go to all t hat trouble. Thank you very much.

Offline Rosalea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 March 23 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for all that research. Yes - a very "interesting" family! It would seem that Florence's mother Ann, after having an illlegitimate son, married George Huxford and then had all the other children. Then on 1911 census she describes herself as "single" and is living with James Wareham (the 1891 lodger!) Her daughter Florence obviously married Charles White. I have the birth certificate for her daughter Margaret Dorothy Huxford, born 1902 when Florence was barely 16 years old, but no father mentioned, so I don't know whether Charles White was the father or not... They only married ten years later.
It was very kind of you to go to all t hat trouble. Thank you very much.

Hello
I'm new on here, but would love to talk to you about this post, as I had reached as far as you, and wanting to find Florence and Margaret.  I read your post, and it filled a few gaps. Please could you contact me? That would be great. Thank you.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 March 23 08:39 GMT (UK) »
Could be Margaret Dorothy's marriage if she reversed her forenames
Dorothy M Huxford m William J Down Quarter 1 1926 Axminster District

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 March 23 08:48 GMT (UK) »
There is a birth registration for a Clifford White Huxford Axminster district  Q3 1909, no mmn, so possibly illeg son of Florence and Charles