Author Topic: Dartmoor Criminal records  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dartmoor Criminal records
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 November 15 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Your fella was sentenced not long after transportation of convicts ceased,
Transportation to Western Australia continued officially until 1868, though in much reduced numbers. In the case of John Lockhart Morton there is a specific recommendation in the caption order (PCOM 3/116) that the prisoner 'may not be selected for removal from the country at present'.

Offline neil.meek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 November 15 22:43 GMT (UK) »
My thanks for all your prompt replies about John Lockhart Morton. (He was born 1827 in Midlothian, Scotland). I'm so pleased to learn that he didn't die in Dartmoor Prison!

A great website!!

Regards to all

Neil

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 November 15 22:53 GMT (UK) »
If you have access to the worldwide ancestry there are some electoral records on there in 1912 and 1913 and a death record for a John Lockhart Morton

Edit: Its for a William John Lockhart Morton so probably not yours but they come under

Australia, Electoral Rolls, 1903-1980 in Wimmera, Victoria, Australia 1912 & 1913, and

Australia, Death Index, 1787-1985 for a death between 1916 and 1925.

I do not access to fuller details
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline neil.meek

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 November 15 23:06 GMT (UK) »
I don't have access to the worldwide ancestry for the electoral records in 1912 and 1913 and a death record for a John Lockhart Morton. Could you quote the records please?

Thanks

Offline Marycarey17

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 10 December 20 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi sorry to but in on someone else's question, but I have a question on similar lines. I haven't been on this site for ages, but have in recent times returned to researching the family tree. My partner's G grandmother married a man called John Stowell, who I understand was a chemist. Whilst searching I found a John Stowell in the 1911 census in Dartmoor Prison (hence my interest in the question)It says he was a convict and a chemist. He was born in 1863 which would be about the right age for our John Stowell. How can I find out more information, and whether it is the same man. I am not paid up to either Ancestry or Findmypast. I am a member of myheritage and familysearch.org but can't find how to access prison records.
I'd be glad of any help,
Mary
Carey, Haughton, Reid, Duffin