Author Topic: Help with Tempsford or Sandy address on 1939 Register  (Read 3930 times)

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Tempsford or Sandy address on 1939 Register
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Had been pursuing similar line and found William F's death in 1935, Biggleswade

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Ethel HUSRLEY seems to have the same birth date (Sept.1 1886) as that of Ethel THURLEY (on death reg Mar 1971).

Sorry if that's been pointed out already.

Maureen

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 14:28 GMT (UK) »
Probate calender entry for William Finch Thurley of 74 London Road, Biggleswade, died 27 Sept 1935; Effects £790 to widow, Mrs Florence Nellie Thurley
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 November 15 14:32 GMT (UK) »
It is looking too much of a coincidence since the Bedford Ethel has the same birthdate. But it would be nice to find the residents in the two addresses in Church Street Tempsford and eliminate them. In 1939 the A1 would have been Church Street, maybe it was officially called something different although locals knew it as Church street.
Current maps have Church Street as dead end to the north and what I think is a "new" road running parallel with and just to the east of current A1 heading off to St Neots and to link the East and west sides of Tempsford. 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 20 November 15 08:40 GMT (UK) »
The listing for Ethel says there are two more people officially closed, implying that they were born after 1915. This would fit for a widowed lady with two children. If it is the right Ethel and she was temporarily staying with relatives.......

The HUSRLEY household containing Ethel & 2 others was at an un-numbered house in Ashburnham Road; it is the 11th entry on the 3rd page (each of 20) if you work through all the addresses in that street. Also Ethel's status is widowed. 

The other 2 people could be daughters Dulcie Eva born June 1924 & Sylvia Mary born Sept 1920, but we'll never know - unless you can prove that they have since died.

Hemmum - I suggest you shell out £6.95 **  to see the entry ... if Husrley is indeed mistranscribed Thurley then you can ask to get it corrected... The image will also show entries for other unclosed people in that same stretch of Ashburnham Road which could identify where they were staying, if checked against a 1938/39 Bedford directory.

later ** seems FindMyPast now are offering 60 credits for £4.99 using discount code 1939VIEW, but only until end of 26th Nov....however credits valid for 90 days 
Clement - Croydon

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 23 November 15 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all for your help and my apologies for not thanking you earlier but I have not been online as been unwell.

I know Ethel and her husband were living in Church Street Tempsford when her husband was involved in an accident in 1936.
In May 1939 Ethel and her husband William H E Thurley (also know as Harold!) were living 4 Church Street, Tempsford when he died but Ethel was at 9 Church Street when her daughter married in 1941. I believe another married daughter was living at 4 Church Street in 1941.
I remember my grandmother living in Church Street (which were council properties) until she died. The A1 ran behind her house with horrid outside toilets half way down the garden (newspaper on a nail).
I would love to know who was living at the addresses in 1939.

I will take your advice and shell out for the entry in Bedford. After all your help I am more confident that Ethel HUSRLEY may well be my Ethel Thurley and I would not be wasting my money. How easy is it to get closed entries opened? All of Ethel's daughters have sadly died although one went missing overseas so I am unlikely be able to prove her death!

John you mention;
‘The image will also show entries for other unclosed people in that same stretch of Ashburnham Road which could identify where they were staying, if checked against a 1938/39 Bedford directory.’

Where can you view a 1938/39 Bedford directory?
Lizzie also mentioned an electoral roll for 1939. Are they available online?

Thank you all again for your help. As John a big thank you for the money saving code!

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Paid my money and the entry is definitely for Ethel Thurley and she is living between (above) 24 and (below) 22 Ashburnham Road.  The neighbouring occupants names are Garnet, Martin and perhaps Gellings and Fanning, names which ring no bells.
I have reported the error in the transcription but it seems that I will have to renew my lapsed subscription to FindMyPast before they will consider opening the closed entries. John any more money saving codes!!

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 12:07 GMT (UK) »
From 1938 Bedford Directory.... #22 Ashburnham Road had no occupant, at #24 was Charles Albert Joyce - however he was not there on 1939 Register. The other name you mention are not listed in the directory.

Another money saving code is 1939offer, again giving you 60 credits for £4.99.

FindMyPast will only check out closed records if you have a subscription, otherwise you have to contact TNA & pay £25...   Even if you have a FindMyPast subscription it does not give you access to the 1939 register details, you have to buy credits.   
Clement - Croydon

Offline Hemmum

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi John
Thank you for the information regarding the 1838 directory.
I wondered if you had a money saving code for a FindMyPast subscription as I did think if I renewed my lapsed subscription I may be able to investigate opening a closed record on the 1939 register. I read from their site;

'We provide a free Evidence of Death checking service for all Findmypast subscribers (World and Britain) via an online form. Subscription information can be found here. Subscribers must be signed in before completing a form to request an officially closed record to be opened.'

I think this is basically what you said.
Thank you again for your help.