Author Topic: 1939 Missing family and address  (Read 1791 times)

Offline lindash51

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1939 Missing family and address
« on: Sunday 22 November 15 23:35 GMT (UK) »
My father Norman Walsh born 1913 lived on Lower Bridgeman Street Bolton in 1939 with his 1st wife  Alice born 1914 and their son, my step brother, Graham born 1936 died 1976. I know Graham's record will be closed but my father and Alice should be there but can't be found anywhere. The house they lived at on Lower Bridgeman Street was either 22 or 34 and I know they were at one or the other as I have a letter my father wrote in 1936 with the address on and I was born at the other a few years later. Anyway some of the houses on that Street were built in the 1800s. When searching by address there are only 2 houses listed as Lower Bridgeman Street no 78 and 80 yet I know the other houses were there before 1939. I know there is also a Bridgeman Street and Bridgeman Place but these are separate and not the same streets. I thought the most likely solution was that part of the register had been missed hence no family or address and so sent the 1939 register team an email which they acknowledged 3 weeks ago and said they were going to look into it. I have not heard anything since and the 1939 register hasn't changed. Anyone got any suggestions other than waiting. Thanks
Walsh, Ramwell, Roscoe, Whitworth, Hindley, Court, Lobb, Heywood, Bolton, Raby, McMail, Bullough, Fairclough

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: 1939 Missing family and address
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 November 15 23:49 GMT (UK) »
I have the same thing - I know exactly where my grandparents were in 1939, but there is no sign of them and on checking the road a large chunk is missing. I'm still waiting as well!
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 22 November 15 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Me too.     :-\
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 November 15 00:15 GMT (UK) »
I've just contacted them again asking that they look into it rather than fobbing me off with a standard reply which doesn't answer the question.

Offline lindash51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the replies and while I don't want anyone else stuck it is reassuring to know it is probably an error in the 1939 register and not me
Kind regards and hope you get the answers soon.
Linda
Walsh, Ramwell, Roscoe, Whitworth, Hindley, Court, Lobb, Heywood, Bolton, Raby, McMail, Bullough, Fairclough

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 November 15 21:59 GMT (UK) »
I had a response to my email - better than the last one.

"I have passed the details of this specific issue to our technical team to look at and investigate. "

Could it be because I mentioned that I knew other people on Rootschat had encountered the same problems?

Offline lindash51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 09:18 GMT (UK) »
 Hi groom
The email you have recently received is word for word the same as I received on 5.11 and am still waiting to hear the results of their investigation.  However that does not mean that they are not now giving it their attention and you will not hear shortly - and hopefully you will.  ;) :D ;)

Next week I am going to one of the FindMyPast presentations that they are doing about the 1939 register and I may get the opportunity of asking them what is the process when they are notified of likely omissions and their estimated response time ??? ???

Offline mumjo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 19:37 GMT (UK) »
I have been looking at Victoria Street, Lincoln., but it occurred to me as I was looking that there is only one Victoria Street listed although the city has two - one in the West end and one in the south end. We differentiate between the two by calling the south end one Victoria Street, Bracebridge.
I have looked through and some of the house numbers seem to be down twice. Could one number refer to Victoria St, west end and the other Victoria st bracebridge.
I originally thought that (as they are both terraced housing and would be occupied by the less wealthy) that they had either sub let or shared, but now am not quite so sure.
As i didn't find the name i was looking for i haven't used any credits opening up the records.
perhaps someone could check for me that i'm not on the wrong track and that they all have been lumped together even though there is a good 4 miles separating them! If i'm not going senile and they have put them together i'll email FindMyPast and let them know.
Thanks
Jo
Somerset - Beard, Masters, White, Percival
Lincolnshire - Turner, Wilson
Yorkshire - Turner
Staffordshire - Beech, Gee, Mellor

Offline Jackiemh

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 30 November 15 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I had the same problem but in East Ham, London - I knew the road and had a good idea of the house number. Somehow part of the road (naturally the part I was interested in) had been misspelt and so had the surname. It took the support team a while but they got there in the end.
Maybe the transcribers had problems interpreting the information.
Jackie
Bateman, Baylis, Bellotti, Boag, Bower (Stillgebauer), Cattermole, Chester, Dullage, Felix, French, Fursse, Garrett, Gilbert, Harding, Haynes, Hazelwood, Plume, Putland, Rudge, Strickson, Vine, Warren, Whitehead, Whitehorn, Wiltshire, Youthed and many more