Author Topic: John Harry bpt 11 Apr 1841 St Stephen in Brannel  (Read 986 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John Harry bpt 11 Apr 1841 St Stephen in Brannel
« on: Monday 23 November 15 04:39 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for John Harry s/o William Harry and Kitty Bullen.
William Harry died 1853 and his mother remarried Lark.
In 1851 the Census at St Austell has the family incorrectly transcribed as Harvey.
The name should be Harry.
John was then aged 10 and an errand boy.
I cannot find him under Harry or Harvey in 1861. Perhaps he died.
He is not with his mother or siblings. They have been accounted for.

I would appreciate assistance.
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline DavidGreenall110

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Harry bpt 11 Apr 1841 St Stephen in Brannel
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 November 15 15:29 GMT (UK) »
Lazarus,

Did he change his name to Lark?

There's a John Lark who died in 1907 aged 67 in St Stephen in Brannel near St Austell that may fit the bill.
Death, Sambles, Searle, Loates, Beamish, Brooks, Bates, Coates, Hughes, Lythgoe, Johnson, Rodgers, Hawthorne, Rhodes, Lister, Sneyd

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 November 15 21:46 GMT (UK) »
I think that John Lark was the son of John & Elizabeth Lark bp 13 Oct 1839 abode noted as High Street, on his burial same abode
http://www.cornwall-opc-database.org/search-database/more-info/?t=burials&id=2469480
1881 census he is living with his parents & his wife & children.

But I haven't spotted John Harry as yet.

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 23 November 15 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you David and Osprey.
I have been trying to substantiate the name change suggestion and had noticed the 1939 baptism for John Lark.
I am also considering the Harry/Harvey confusion.
I assume finding him 1861 might provide confirmation otherwise I will need to keep looking.

Thanks
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 23 November 15 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately there are a few deaths with that name in Cornwall between 1851-1861 :-\

However only one in St Germans registration district in Dec 1855 but don't know how old that person was.

Does he appear as witness on any of his siblings marriages perhaps?  That might pin him down or at least confirm a year when he was still alive.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 November 15 17:30 GMT (UK) »
The 1850s were a period of great emigration from Cornwall. I would consider the possibility that he left England for Australia, Canada or the United States as a young man before the 1861 census. With his mother remarried, he might have had more than average incentive to leave home.

re the 1855 death, in 1851 there were several John Harrys in St Germans reg dist, dobs c 1778, 1804, 1829, 1838, so it is perhaps more likely the 1855 death was one of them. (Looking for them in 1861 could rule them in or out ... on a quick search I don't see any of them.) But only the certificate might say for sure.

adding: For example, two John Harrys aged 28 arrived in New York from England in May and August 1869:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVPV-WYHP
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVPV-CC88
... so if he did emigrate, he could be a bit of a needle in a haystack.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 30 November 15 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Janey
I agree that migration is a distinct possibility.
My own great grandfather who  was also John Harry migrated to Australia but I have not noticed this second John Harry.
Your two suggestions re "Northern Light" and "Columbia" fit age wise but will require further evidence.