Author Topic: William THRELFALL, formerly of WWI's 29th Division  (Read 9354 times)

Offline johnps

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William THRELFALL, formerly of WWI's 29th Division
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 06 December 15 22:20 GMT (UK) »
Just an update on my progress in tracking down Queenie. I managed to identify all the Threlfalls born between 1887 and 1898 who had William as a first or middle name. It is a fairly large list (about 46 names), but once I started eliminating those individuals whose regimental affiliation could already be established or who died within a decade of birth (and therefore had traceable death records) or whose descendants (via Ancestry) said “no way’, the list of potential candidates became far more manageable - though admittedly, no one on the list jumps out as obvious show biz material (I’ve followed census reports to 1911) .
However, I also pursued the 1920s singer “William Threlfall” route that Barbara.H pointed out, and sure enough came across a potentially valuable clue to the puzzle. During the autumn of 1926, the ocean liner RMS Majestic included among its crew a British band member called William Threlfall. What’s more, the passenger manifest gave his age as 31 – which would have meant a birth date of around 1895. 
So I’ve started to refocus my efforts on the three year spread 1894 to 1896 – and really, there are only six possibilities in total, of whom only three I would consider truly serious contenders. Some of these are on Ancestry.com family trees, so I’ve written to their owners for advice. But there is one for which no information (or family trees) exists – other than his date of birth and district registration on the Lancashire BMD. His name is “William John Threlfall”, born Oct-Nov-Dec 1895, registered Toxteth Park, Liverpool. So the search goes on...

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 07 December 15 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for keeping us all posted on your progress - because progress it IS, not lack of it - all the time you're tightening that net about him, and I'm sure you'll "get your man" in the end
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 07 December 15 13:55 GMT (UK) »
But there is one for which no information (or family trees) exists – other than his date of birth and district registration on the Lancashire BMD. His name is “William John Threlfall”, born Oct-Nov-Dec 1895, registered Toxteth Park, Liverpool. So the search goes on...

Sadly there is also a death registered for William John Threlfall age 0, Oct-Nov-Dec 1895, Toxteth Park.
But as Threlfallyorky says, another one crossed off the list at least makes that list a bit shorter.

:) Barbara
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 07 December 15 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't resist a peek at the Crew Lists for William Threlfall and there is another one for the Scythia, Liverpool-New York 1927

Bandmaster  Robert Bell
Musicians   
Charles Botterill age 22
William Threlfall - age 32 (height 5 foot 8 inches, weight 154 lbs )
George Dodd  age 35
Joseph Bew  age 50

Charles Botterill has several internet mentions as a member of Mantovani's band in later life
http://tinyurl.com/qzhmxsm
LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 07 December 15 14:54 GMT (UK) »
There are quite a few voyages for what appears to be the same William (using birth year 1896) on the Aquitania and I think the Mauretania (not sure on that one).

Maureen

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 07 December 15 15:34 GMT (UK) »
The trail is definitely heating up....
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline MaureeninNY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 07 December 15 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone claim the William born Sept 7 1895/bapt. Oct 13 1895 Halsall son of William and Margery?

I'm pretty sure he must be the band member on those shipping lists. He's on the 1939 register in Southampton C.B. as William THREFALL.

Maureen

Offline johnps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 07 December 15 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Barbara.H.

And yes, Maureenin NY, the William you mention (son of William and Margery) is amongst my list of finalists. I wrote to someone on Ancestry who had his name in his family tree and the response was that William was "... a distant relation to me and the latest info I have is the 1911 census when he was an office boy..."

It's not a positive response, but certainly not a "no way" either. Will dig further.

And out of curiosity (and ignorance), what is the "Southampton C. B.?"

Thanks.

Offline johnps

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 07 December 15 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello Barbara.H, you mention that "there is also a death registered for William John Threlfall age 0, Oct-Nov-Dec 1895, Toxteth Park." I can't seem to find it on either the Free BMD or Lancashire BMD. I may be looking in the wrong place ... ?