Author Topic: Our Lady And St Columba, Wallsend. Burial place?  (Read 5774 times)

Offline Betta4

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Our Lady And St Columba, Wallsend. Burial place?
« Reply #18 on: Monday 04 February 19 04:32 GMT (UK) »
Interesting thread - my great great grandfather Thomas McIntyre (according to Family Search records) was buried Feb 12th 1891 in Our Lady & St Columba in Wallsend.  Find a Grave doesn't show any results for that name & year.....  Might have to go hunting the next time I come over and visit.... 

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Betta4. your ancestor Thomas, 1 Warwick Road, age 65 died 10 February and was buried on 12 February at Wallsend Cemetery according to Church record - most likely Church Bank Cemetery.  Thought I would get this for you just in case you haven't been able to check yourself yet.

AngelFish, the Church entry records Margaret died 'very suddenly'.

There was also a Maria Anna Kirven buried at Wallsend Cemetery on 25 Feb.  Same address as Margaret - 16 Leslie's Gardens, Wallsend.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 February 19 23:07 GMT (UK) »
AngelFish, the Church entry records Margaret died 'very suddenly'.

There was also a Maria Anna Kirven buried at Wallsend Cemetery on 25 Feb.  Same address as Margaret - 16 Leslie's Gardens, Wallsend.

Thank you River Tyne Lass. I'm pleased to know where tjey were buried.

I've since bought the death certificates - Margaret died in her sleep. Mary Ann was her daughter and died first, then the mother, and then later in the year the father died too.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 09:24 GMT (UK) »
That's good that she appears to have had a gentle death perhaps as you say 'died in sleep'.  The Church entry records in quotes 'very suddenly'.  Perhaps the Church record might just mean that there was not enough time for last rites before death.  Although I can't remember now if the record indicates last rites were carried out or not.

Next time I get to the library I will see if I can find a death notice.  On a rare occasion I have found that something can be missed off link that Boo sent.  Margaret may possibly have notice in  a Wallsend paper or Shields Daily News perhaps.  Both latter papers are at North Shields library but I can't remember off top of my head the date range covered in what Wallsend papers survive.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 09:40 GMT (UK) »
That's good that she appears to have had a gentle death perhaps as you say 'died in sleep'.  The Church entry records in quotes 'very suddenly'.  Perhaps the Church record might just mean that there was not enough time for last rites before death.  Although I can't remember now if the record indicates last rites were carried out or not.

Next time I get to the library I will see if I can find a death notice.  On a rare occasion I have found that something can be missed off link that Boo sent.  Margaret may possibly have notice in  a Wallsend paper or Shields Daily News perhaps.  Both latter papers are at North Shields library but I can't remember off too of my head the date range covered in what Wallsend papers survive.

She died 27 Feb 1895 and was: 'Found dead in bed, having died in a natural way from Heart Disease. Certificate received from Henry J Rutherford Deputy Coroner for South North'd inquest held 27 Feb 1895.' Address was 16 Winifred Gardens.

The daughter died only on the 23 Feb, 'Cause Cardiac Disease Dropsy'.

I believe the father James Kirven died 5 May the same year (1895), 'Cause Chronic Bronchitis Cardiac Disease certified by C.J.C.Kingdon M.B.'   I think this is the correct death, but the address is different (23 Birket Street) and the informant was 'James Elliott Son-in-Law' of 21 Birket Street - my James didn't have a son on law called James Elliott, but I'm guessing maybe they just used 'son in law' for different relations or extended relations/friends. Other details match up.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 10:18 GMT (UK) »
How strange - the Church entry looks like 'Leslie's Gardens'.  I wish I could get a photo of this for you but the archives would charge.

I think there is no doubt what you have written will be correct address.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Sorry AngelFish - no notice found.  I checked Evening Shields and Shields Daily News.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 15:04 GMT (UK) »
and I doubled checked the Newcastle online papers and there not a notice in those either.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 13 February 19 15:11 GMT (UK) »
as an aside to this thread the images for the church records of Our Lady and St Columba are available to view (for free) if you can visit an LDS Family History Centre

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/783575?availability=Family%20History%20Library

There is a camera icon next to each line, the little key above each one means they are only available to view if you are either a church member (and have a relevant login) or you can visit a centre.

NB the restriction is down to the holders of of the records and what they have agreed the LDS are allowed to do with them.
If you want to visit, you can find if there is one in your area by searching here:
https://www.familysearch.org/locations/

Boo