Author Topic: Some interesting questions on immigrating to America.  (Read 823 times)

Offline caclancy

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • "Life's too short not to be Irish!"
    • View Profile
Some interesting questions on immigrating to America.
« on: Friday 15 July 05 03:48 BST (UK) »
Hi there. :)
    A few random questions to put out there to find some answers on the how's,where's and whys on immigrating to America.  And please excuse my ignorance on this subject :-[

1. Were there other places besides Ellis Island and Boston that was used to immigrate to America?

2. If somebody had money or maybe "connections" ( for lack of a better word) in America, would they choose one harbor over another?

3. If someone didn't want to be seen or recognized, which harbor would they might choose?

Thank you for reading and not laughing too hard at my mysterious, perhaps naive, questions. :D   Have a great day!!!!

Thank you,  caclancy
surnames: Clancy,Horgan,Dunne,Lee,Roscoe,Loftus,Brosnan,Gorman,Filla,Eder
areas: Ireland-Cork co, Kerry co,Galway,Clare co, England-Lancashire,north England. Pennsylvania-Pittsburgh,Allegheny Co.
military: WW1,WW2,IRA and its history/Easter Rising of 1916 and the conflicts with the Black and Tans(england)

Offline PER

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Some interesting questions on immigrating to America.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 July 05 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hi CaClancey,

Have you tried this website http://www.immigrantships.net/

If you take a look you will see ships commonly stopped in Galveston, Texas. Maryland, Massachusetts, New Orleans and New York. Also it is not uncommon to find people travelling across to Canada or vice versur.

I dont think people would necessarily have chosen a better harbour but a better ship and better accomodation would have been a definate for wealthy immigrants. If someone really didnt want to be recognised and had plenty of money they would have hired a private ship and not been dropped off in a port ( in research terms you would be very stuck if that was the case)

Also dont rule out that they could have emigrated onboard a military ship in which case they could have settled anywhere.

My Clancey relatives emigrated from Ireland abt 1800 to Canada so i regularly check all the America and Canadian transcriptions on teh before mentioned website

Happy Hunting

Paula
Check out my surname interests, locations and gedmatch ref at - https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Round-218 covering most county's in England; also Nova Scotia, Canada and Switzerland.