Author Topic: Rev Thomas Henderson  (Read 5401 times)

Offline GramH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Rev Thomas Henderson
« on: Friday 15 July 05 05:17 BST (UK) »
Died 31/08/1879 @ Rothesay listed as Missionary of Ochil St, Alloa, with spouse Isabella (Thom). Grateful for any information at all, age, full name, offspring or where Mission station was.
Henderson - born Newburgh, LMS Missionary in British Guyana,  Glass - Frederick St Chapel, Aberdeen, Leslie - Congregational Church London, Rock - Castleblaney Ireland.

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Rev Thomas Henderson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 July 05 07:48 BST (UK) »
If he belonged to the Established Church of Scotland then there will be a short but probably informative entry in Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae.

There are equivalent records for ministers of other Scottish churches such as the Free Kirk, United Presbyterian Church and others.................. watch out for the fact that there are sometimes different details in the current and previous editions of Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae.

·     Fasti Ecclesiae Scoticanae ("the succession of Ministers in the Church of Scotland from the Reformation") by Hew Scott, new edition published at Edinburgh from 1915 to 1928 (7 volumes) with three more recent volumes taking the coverage up to 1975
·         History of the Congregations of the United Presbyterian Church from 1733 to 1900 by Rev. Robert Small, published in 2 volumes in 1904 at Edinburgh
·         Annals of the Free Church of Scotland edited by Rev. William Ewing, published in 2 volumes in 1914 at Edinburgh
·         The Fasti of the United Free Church of Scotland 1900-1929 edited by John Lamb, published at Edinburgh in 1956
·         The Reformed Presbyterian Church in Scotland, its congregations, ministers and students by William J. Couper, published at Edinburgh in 1925
·         History of the Scottish Episcopal Church from the Revolution to the Present Time by John P. Lawson, published at Edinburgh in 1843
·         A Short History of the Episcopal Church in Scotland from the Restoration to the Present Time by Frederick Goldie, published in 1952
·         The Scottish Congregational Ministry 1794-1993 by Rev. Dr. William D. McNaughton, published in 1993 at Glasgow by the Congregational Union of Scotland
·         A History of Scottish Congregationalism by Harry Escott, published in 1960

Many major libraries in Scotland and elsewhere will have copies of one or more of the above.

ibi

Offline GramH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 July 05 11:03 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for that lead. Being in N.Z. I may have difficulty sourcing those books but I'll certainly try.
Henderson - born Newburgh, LMS Missionary in British Guyana,  Glass - Frederick St Chapel, Aberdeen, Leslie - Congregational Church London, Rock - Castleblaney Ireland.

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 July 05 16:06 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for that lead. Being in N.Z. I may have difficulty sourcing those books but I'll certainly try.

New Zealand Society of Genealogists at their library in Auckland have at least Fasti Ecclesia Scoticanae, - or if it's not there, then it may be the Scottish Interest Group of NZSG who have it.....

ibi

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 July 05 05:49 BST (UK) »
Hi GramH

Thomas died testate - you can pay & download the Will document on ScotlandsPeople. This is the index entry:

Henderson Thomas 05/11/1879 missionary, Ochil Street, Alloa, d. 31/08/1879 at Rothesay, testate, spouse of Mrs Isabella Thom or Henderson Inventory; Holograph Will Alloa Sheriff Court SC64/42/16

It may give some information you are looking for.

His marriage to Isabella THOM appears to be on IGI:
02 DEC 1862 Central District, Glasgow, Lanark
Again, looking at this on ScotlandsPeople will, if it's the right couple, give you an age, parental details, and his marital status at marriage - it may even tell you more about his calling/occupation!

It may have been a late in life marriage, or else not and he died relatively young. Could even be a 2nd marriage. His widow is on C81 age 40, but that is not to say he was of similar age, he could have been much older. She is alone on the Census, no children:

Dwelling:   Ochil Street
   Census Place:   Alloa, Clackmannan, Scotland
   Source:   FHL Film 0203534     GRO Ref    Volume 465    EnumDist 2    Page 24
   Marr   Age   Sex   Birthplace
Isabella HENDERSON   W   40    F   Edinbro, Edinburgh, Scotland
   Rel:   Head
   Occ:   Bible Reader District Author

Wonder if her occupation means she may have left published works as her legacy?

Cheers
Anne

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 July 05 08:52 BST (UK) »
The two records refer to the same person.

On the death record Thomas Thorburn HENDERSON is shown as a "Lay Missionary, UP Church", - UP = United Presbyterian, formed in 1847 by the union of the United Secession and Relief Churches.

I'm unsure if the work that I quoted earlier includes details of missionaries, - History of the Congregations of the United Presbyterian Church from 1733 to 1900 by Rev. Robert Small, published in 2 volumes in 1904 at Edinburgh

A Google on "united presbyterian missionaries scotland" will produce some possible sources, including http://www.mundus.ac.uk/cats/14/1029.htm

ibi

Offline GramH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 05:52 BST (UK) »
Thankyou one and all for your replies, your efforts are much appreciated. I was clutching at straws.  It would appear that this Rev Thomas Henderson is not the ancestor I seek information on, even tho his demise was around the years I expected. The Rev Thomas (Leslie?) Henderson I seek was stationed in Demarara, British Guyana in 1852 and died prior to Dec 1883, (late of Aberdeen is the newspaper quotation).

Offline ibi

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 July 05 13:37 BST (UK) »
Thankyou one and all for your replies, your efforts are much appreciated. I was clutching at straws.  It would appear that this Rev Thomas Henderson is not the ancestor I seek information on, even tho his demise was around the years I expected. The Rev Thomas (Leslie?) Henderson I seek was stationed in Demarara, British Guyana in 1852 and died prior to Dec 1883, (late of Aberdeen is the newspaper quotation).

Hi GramH

Is it possible to let us see the full text of the newspaper entry ?

ibi

Offline GramH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 August 05 04:22 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the delay . I was awaiting a marriage cert for Thomas Saville HENDERSON which now gives father as Thomas HENDERSON, Clergyman and mother as Mary Anne LESLIE. The NZ newspaper, Nelson Colonist 1883  stated groom (TS Henderson), the only son of Rev Thomas Henderson, late of Aberdeen. TS Henderson was born in Demarara, Br Guyana, S. America so I am assuming parents were missionaries there in 1852 (year of birth). TS Henderson emmigrated to NZ 2 Jun 1875 on 'Lactura' from Gravesend. So the search continues........