Author Topic: James Rock m Martha Littlewood  (Read 5601 times)

Offline GramH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Rock m Martha Littlewood
« on: Friday 15 July 05 05:26 BST (UK) »
Seeking information on James Rock, b May 1830 or Martha Littlewood, b May 1832 or John Rock MD, father of James, all of Castleblayney. Uncertain if James and Martha were married before emmigrating  to Aust and also possibly travelled separately. Defintely in Malmsbury, Australia 1869.
Henderson - born Newburgh, LMS Missionary in British Guyana,  Glass - Frederick St Chapel, Aberdeen, Leslie - Congregational Church London, Rock - Castleblaney Ireland.

Offline Liz52

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Rock m Martha Littlewood
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 September 05 02:10 BST (UK) »
I have a Joseph McClelland born 1788 Monaghan married to a Mary Rock.  Mary's father was Thomas Rock of Mullagarry.  They were married in 1851, in Clontibret.  They had a daughter Letitia born 1867 in Annamacneil.  Other names connected to this family are Hamilton, and Williamson.

Offline woolamai

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 August 15 22:17 BST (UK) »
Is this the James you are looking for? John Rock's son was James, John's brother was also James

John Rock was born in 1808 in Co Monaghan, Ireland. He married Margaret Steenson in about 1835 in Monaghan. The family travelled to Australia on the Wallace which arrived in Feb 1844.  This ship departed from Liverpool on 3rd November 1844. They were assisted immigrants. Their 2 children Mary Ann and James came with them. John was 35 and Margaret 32. Mary Ann was 5 years. James was 2

ROCK   JAMES   2   FEB   1844   WALLACE   2/3   155
ROCK   JOHN   35   FEB   1844   WALLACE   2/3   148
ROCK   MARGT   32   FEB   1844   WALLACE   2/3   148
ROCK   MARY ANN   5   FEB   1844   WALLACE   2/3   148

John Rock died 26th March1888 #349 at Fyansford, Geringhap, Near Geelong and is buried in the Eastern Cemetery. He was 80 years old.
Urquhart, Penman, Duncan, Snell, Benallack, Denning, Amor, Bishop, Jones, Thomas, Hordley, Hall, Titley, Ellis

Offline GramH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 August 15 10:47 BST (UK) »
Update:- James Rock m Martha Littlewood, 13 May 1851, Newtown, Hamilton, Armagh. James Rock arr Vic, Australia via "Columbia" Jul 1858. Martha Rock arr Vic, Australia via "Annie Wilson" Nov 1864 with 2 children, Annie (10) & William (7). James Rock died 1893 Benalla.Vic. Australia.
His father,John Rock MD is listed in 1852 Medical Dictionary of Ireland in Supplemental List (p113) for Castleblaney, Monaghan.
Does anyone have any further info w.r.t. John Rock MD ie B.M.D. other children etc. ??
Thanks. GramH
Henderson - born Newburgh, LMS Missionary in British Guyana,  Glass - Frederick St Chapel, Aberdeen, Leslie - Congregational Church London, Rock - Castleblaney Ireland.

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 September 15 08:16 BST (UK) »
Hi, in the Catholic parish registers I found 3 births for James Rock(s) between 1820-1830 with father John. As none of the certs lists father's occupation it is hard to know if one of these would be the James you seek or if none are for your James unless you have the mother's name.

Births for James Rock(s):

James Rocks
18 Nov 1830
parish: Ballymacnab
county: Armagh
father: John Rocks
mother: Marg Crilly

James Rocks
9 Sept 1832
parish: Dungannon
county: Tyrone
father: John Rocks
mother: Ann Micham

James Rock
19 March 1833
parish: Ardcath
county: Meath
father: John Rock
mother: Jane Murray

There were no births for John in county Monaghan which means either the records are illegible or no longer exist or his birth was registered in another county near to the family home/or in prish closest to them. All 3 of these counties border county Monaghan  so these are possibilities. I would get copies of the death certs for both James & Martha in Australia which may have something that would narrow search area.
As to marriage of John Rock, there are several so you would need at least bride's 1st name to narrow it down. I couldn't find a death for John in parish registers from 1852-1900, nor in Irish Civil Registration Lists. I did find the death of a John Rock born about 1808 and died in 1888 in Victoria, Australia with parents listed as Robert Rock & Mary Williamson. Could this possibly be James' father?? Again, you would have to get the death cert to see the info on it. Hope this is of some help, Kim

Offline GramH

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 September 15 10:55 BST (UK) »
I really appreciate the info everybody is producing. Latest info has the marriage of James and Martha May 1851 in The United Church of England and Ireland parish church. James being 21yrs at the time. I passed through Castleblaney in 2009 and in the half Saturday I had, found the surname ROCKS quite prevalent in the Catholic graveyard. Somehow I don't think there is a relationship as there is a "story" which precludes this because of religious grounds. Maybe there could have been family split in a previous generation resulting in the adoption of ROCK as a surname.
GramH.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 September 15 11:44 BST (UK) »
Ballyalbany Presbyterian, Monaghan Town...  Baptism on 19th July 1841  James 1st son of John Rock + Elizabeth Steenson of Tandragee, Monaghan
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.