Author Topic: Lemoir - Letchford - Huge skeleton in the family closet!!!!  (Read 26284 times)

Offline jungle beast

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lemoir - Letchford - Huge skeleton in the family closet!!!!
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 02 April 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered your post of 2 yrs ago, and was very interested to read your discovery.
Percy Thomas Luetchford was my great uncle, my grandmother Violet Lucy was his older sister.
It would seem that after the death of Jane from Typhoid following the birth of her 7th child,in Sialkot in what was then east Bengal, Edward returned to the UK and the surviving children were "adopted" by Janes sisters, Lucy Edwards took in my grandmother and auntie May, and Charlotte your grandfather. I was intrigued by your photos of I assume Percy. I have several photos of people with my grandmother from the 20s and30s and I would dearly love to put names to faces! Is there some way I could send these to you to see if you could identify them?

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 03 April 17 11:15 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered your post of 2 yrs ago, and was very interested to read your discovery.
Percy Thomas Luetchford was my great uncle, my grandmother Violet Lucy was his older sister.
It would seem that after the death of Jane from Typhoid following the birth of her 7th child,in Sialkot in what was then east Bengal, Edward returned to the UK and the surviving children were "adopted" by Janes sisters, Lucy Edwards took in my grandmother and auntie May, and Charlotte your grandfather. I was intrigued by your photos of I assume Percy. I have several photos of people with my grandmother from the 20s and30s and I would dearly love to put names to faces! Is there some way I could send these to you to see if you could identify them?

If you click on Wendy68 (name at the left of the post) you will see Wendy68's profile page.  There is an option "Send personal message".  Wendy68 was last on Rootschat over a year ago, but will be notified by e-mail about the message.

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Wendy68

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 31 August 20 02:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Jungle beast
Yes, the photos are of who you know as Percy. He was my grandad and I knew him as Barry Le Moir. (changed his name when he married my nan Edith to hide his bigamy.)
Please get in touch. It would be wonderful to share information with you!!
My email is (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 21 February 22 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I missed this exciting thread!

I've posted about this family previously, being descended from Thomas Luetchford and Harriet Wood - Percy Thomas Luetchford's great grandparents, and had corresponded with jungle beast considerably as she and her sister pieced together the two families of Percy's father, Edward Luetchford.

The 1921 census finds Percy in Westmorland, working as an actor, but not with his wife and kids, though Percy junior and Basil appear to be lodging with an Ernest and Minnie Hird in the same parish, Hincaster, Sedgwick in the Kendal Registration District; Percy is lodging with Jonas James Robinson, a coal dealer and his wife Hannah.  Wife Lucy appears to be in the parish of Ainsdale, Lancashire Ormskirk Reg District, transcribed as Lucy Litchford (born Norfolk 1890).  And having double checked, I've now found another Percy Born 1892 India in the parish of Altcar, Southport, but this time transcribed as Letchford. According to ParLoc, this parish is just over 5 miles away from Ormskirk. [I have only bought the Percy Thomas record in Cumberland so far - I'm rationing my expenditure  ;D]

So one take-away from this is that it looks like Percy and Basil belong to the same parents, and it is most likely that those parents are Percyy Thomas and Lucy Emily Ward.

Beyond that, all I can say is that Percy is consistently elusive.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble