Author Topic: Ancestry or Find My Past  (Read 4676 times)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry or Find My Past
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry also have the original parish registers for the Bexley area of Kent.

Oooh yes, I'd forgotten that one too

I'm torn between the two, because my family are from all over the place (within England, anyway), but at the moment Findmypast's more use to me, since they released the Shropshire parish records.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I have both plus The Genealogist. I'm afraid I would never recommend one above the other for the reasons already given - it very much depends on what you're are looking for. Why not suggest to your friend that they take out the free trials to both and then decide for themselves. Just remind them to untick the automatically renew boxes so that they don't get charged. Or perhaps that they ask for a three months sub to both for Christmas?
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 13:35 GMT (UK) »
I like both but Ancestry is better, I hope they release Essex parish records soon. And Sussex but I read in a genealogy magazine that as yet they dont have any negotiations with Anc to put them on.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Roger The Hat

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 13:40 GMT (UK) »
For what it's worth dept'..........
Yesterday, a friend of mine found a baptism record for me on FindMyPast which I hadn't been able to locate on Ancestry, but in the past the reverse has been true.
Swings and roundabouts - if I could afford it I'd have all of them............!
 ;)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 13:47 GMT (UK) »
I like both but Ancestry is better, I hope they release Essex parish records soon.

Is that in the pipeline? As much as I enjoy trawling through the images on SEAX, it would be good to search some transcribed records...

Offline Rishile

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 13:51 GMT (UK) »
I would guarantee that whatever I need would be on the other if I only had one subscription  :-\

Don't forget FindMyPast has newspaper archives which I find totally addictive.

Rishile
Stoneham - Kent / Essex / Herts / Bucks / Devon
Pike - Kent
Pay - Kent
Swan/Swaine - Herts / London
Bissenden - Kent
Chappell - Herts
Hammond - Essex

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 14:02 GMT (UK) »
I like both but Ancestry is better, I hope they release Essex parish records soon.

Is that in the pipeline? As much as I enjoy trawling through the images on SEAX, it would be good to search some transcribed records...

I dont know if it is in the pipeline but I hope it is. Essex is quite poorly covered on the IGI and much I have found on my Essex ancestors has been trawling through reams and reams of PR scans and spending hours at Southend and Chelmsford, and I am still stuck on some lines. Seeing transcribed records may answer a lot of queries.

I see you have Luckin in your surname interests, mine are from Foulness.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 14:09 GMT (UK) »
I see you have Luckin in your surname interests, mine are from Foulness.

Mine too - Peggy Luckin married Miles Alborough. They are my 5xgreat-grandparents.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 02 December 15 14:28 GMT (UK) »

I dont know if it is in the pipeline but I hope it is. Essex is quite poorly covered on the IGI and much I have found on my Essex ancestors has been trawling through reams and reams of PR scans and spending hours at Southend and Chelmsford, and I am still stuck on some lines. Seeing transcribed records may answer a lot of queries.

I think that is highly unlikely to ever happen because ERO have obviously spent the time and money digitising their records themselves and making them available via their own website.  Should they end up on one of the commercial sites, lets face it nobody is ever going to pay for SEAX.

Ancestry also have the original parish registers for the Bexley area of Kent.

Oooh yes, I'd forgotten that one too

I'm torn between the two, because my family are from all over the place (within England, anyway), but at the moment Findmypast's more use to me, since they released the Shropshire parish records.

I have the same problem so I find I need both because of the different data sets they each have.  In my case, its what comes from having recent generations all born in London. ::)

I've had a subscription to The Genealogist in the past but personally don't think its worth the money these days as some of their previously exclusive sets are now available on both ancestry and FindMyPast, and much of what they have are transcripts or published books.  That said, unfortunately with their new contract with Norfolk Records Office I may have to bite my lip and purchase a sub sometime in the future, but I will only be doing so if the records are definitely scans of the originals and not microfilm (as many of the microfilms have been scanned by the LDS and are available on familysearch) and they also digitise the Wills for the county.  But that is likely to be sometime in the future as they don't ever seem to complete the data sets very quickly (as for that matter do none of the others either). :-X
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day