Author Topic: Help understanding records (1945 - 48) Gordon Highlanders/R Signals  (Read 1222 times)

Offline SJL86

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help understanding records (1945 - 48) Gordon Highlanders/R Signals
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 06 December 15 10:01 GMT (UK) »
ITC is probably Highland Infantry Training Centre. Perhaps at Fort George at that time. BAOR is British Army of the Rhine.

Imber

Thank you Imber!! :)

Offline SJL86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 06 December 15 10:02 GMT (UK) »
TOS = Taken on Strength, i.e. joined a particular regiment/military organisation.

SOS = Struck off Strength i.e. Taken off the nominal roll of a unit and either posted to another or demobbed.

DAAG is something to do with Advocate General I think?

Did he possibly go to Hong Kong HK?

Sounds like he had a very interesting job tracking down war criminals etc.

I don't think he went to Hong Kong - could be wrong though! You think he tracked war criminals? Wow, thats something to look into! Thank you :D

Offline SJL86

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 06 December 15 10:04 GMT (UK) »
OCTU is Officer Cadet Training Unit. From what I've found elsewhere online, 164 OCTU Inf was based in Chester in 1946.

Disembarked North West Europe (England?) ex Draft [DAARH] 22/3/47 Posted to 54 Reinforcement Holding Unit.

X(iv) listings refer to Reinforcements in transit. An X(v)a is an officer attending a course as a student, so perhaps the "a" for the X(iv) means 'officer' in transit? Guessing there as you can see.

Interesting that they list the Aylesbury POW camp as No.56 when other sites online list it as No.36 http://www.radiomarconi.com/marconi/monumento/pow/pows.html and Wikipedia

Thank you for your post!! Much appreciated :)

Offline RRTB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Berkshire Yeomanry - my father's WW2 regiment.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 06 December 15 22:56 GMT (UK) »
On one of the pictures which shows the BAOR underlined and in heavy print, the column to the right shows "Lt (RARO)" plus a date. That is Lieutenant (going by previous information a 2nd Lt) and RARO stands for Regular Army Reserve of Officers.

DAAG = Deputy Assistant Adjutant General

"SoS BAOR on Class A release" seems to mean that he was struck off strength of the regiment in the BAOR and registered to the Class A release, which was to do with demobilisation and return to civvy street. However, he may have remained on the reservist list and may then have been liable to be called up to the colours again. From what I've gleaned online, a regular soldier would have signed up for "x" years' service and then may have also signed up for the reservists. I *think* the Class A release refers to this, but I haven't been able to tie it down for you completely I'm afraid. Having said that, the fact that his service record shows RARO may well lend a little bit of support to the idea of him being in the Reserves. The dates in the column next to "RARO" may show his release date as 1951: "R/S" may mean "Released from Service"?

I'm sure others more knowledgeable than me will be able to direct you more accurately.

RRTB