Author Topic: Forth or North Street, Dennistoun  (Read 1677 times)

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Forth or North Street, Dennistoun
« on: Saturday 05 December 15 19:14 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for a street location within Dennistoun. The street was called either Forth Street or North Street around the year 1900. I'm assuming that it no long exists, but I have no idea where it once stood as I can't find it on any map of the period.

I have found a Forth Street, situated just off of Port Dundas Road in what I suppose is now considered Cowcaddens...not really close to Dennistoun as we understand it today. I know there was a North St in Springburn, again, no where near Dennistoun.

I'm grateful for any help that can be provided!
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Forth or North Street, Dennistoun
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 December 15 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaileanMac

Likely would help to know what/who you are looking for...

There is a North Street in 1901 in Registration district:Dennistoun/ Civil Parish: Glasgow Springburn.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 December 15 19:33 GMT (UK) »
From here www.glasgowguide.co.uk/info-streetschanged3.html, North Street Springburn was renamed Lenzie Street?

Monica

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 December 15 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

I found a couple of births in the family which appear to be at 'Forth' Street, although I cannot find where this street was located. I'm not sure if it says Forth or North but it looks more like an 'F' to me. The records are definitely registered under Dennistoun.

In 1896 the family was at Reid Street, "Dennistoun" and in 1902 they were at Anderson St, "Dennistoun". I know there was a Reid St and Anderson St in Springburn where the family originally was from, but I am confused by the 'Dennistoun'.

The 1901 census says that the family was at 5 'North' St, Dennistoun.

What area would the 'registration district' of Dennistoun cover?

Edit: I read that the registration district of Springburn did not come into existence until 1906. So I am guessing that these streets were all in Springburn, but registered as 'Dennistoun'?

http://www.talkingscot.com/rds/city-rds-glas.htm
Gr-Gr-Gr Grandparents and relevant areas: MacDonald (Skye/Renfrewshire/Glasgow), Johnstone (Inverness/Ayr/Glasgow), MacPherson (Ross/Glasgow), Irvine (Ireland/Glasgow), Berrie (Dunkeld/Glasgow), Biggar (Paisley/Glasgow), Bradley (Ireland/Glasgow), McCorkindale (Argyll/Glasgow), Hardie (Ireland/Greenock), Scott (Greenock) , Kane (Ireland), Maguire (Ireland), McLarty (Argyll/Greenock), McLean (Argyll/Greenock), Petrie (Fife/Dundee/Greenock), Graham (Argyll/Greenock).

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 December 15 12:29 GMT (UK) »
There used to be a website run by Douglas Brown which included, amongst many other Lanarkshire info, two sets of RD sumaries and RD maps (1855-73 and 1874-1900), including any changes for the period you are looking at. Sadly the site is no longer available, however, I did save the maps and RDs. The RD lists you have on access from a number of other sites such as Talking Scot. It was the maps I liked and saved as I am a visual girl  ;)

Below is the map of RDs for Glasgow 1874-1900:

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 December 15 12:33 GMT (UK) »
5 North Street obvioulsy a tenement with multi occupancy. It is indexed in 1901 as:

5 North Street
Civil Parish: Springburn
Registration District: Dennistoun

If we are on the right street and area, North Street changed name in later years to Lenzie Street it seems www.glasgowguide.co.uk/info-streetschanged3.html

A few references to North Street here https://sonofskye.wordpress.com/2013/11/08/then-and-now-springburn-no-more/

Can you add a snippet of what you have on the original image(s) where you have F/North Street for the family (think it is only the 1901 census)?

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 December 15 12:45 GMT (UK) »
You can do a street search by street name on the old Post Office Directories. Have only looked so far at the 1900-01 here www.archive.org/stream/postofficeannual190001gla#page/n5/mode/2up which didn't really give any answers. Further years here www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office/index.cfm?place=Glasgow and more recent directories here https://archive.org/details/postofficeannual190001gla

From the site above, see this 1913 map https://sonofskye.files.wordpress.com/2013/11/springvaleplace1913.png A North Street shows pretty much east of the red line that shows, corner with Avenue Road.

You mentioned Reid Street earlier, this is pretty much across from North Street, over Avenue Road, it seems.

Monica

Offline CaileanMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 December 15 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Excellent, thanks so much Monica... you answered my question! Turns out that even after all these years of family research I haven't fully appreciated the difference between registration district and civil parish.

The website that you referenced is familiar to me.  ;)

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile