Author Topic: Shelton Family - Beaufort West  (Read 1392 times)

Offline chat9

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shelton Family - Beaufort West
« on: Monday 07 December 15 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Desperately searching for any information on a James (we think) Shelton and Agnes (maiden name unknown) - parents of James Shelton (born 1879/1883) in Beaufort West. James Shelton married Elizabeth Katrine (Katherine) Francis.  :-\

Absolutely nothing to find on James Shelton and Agnes (?) and where they came from.

Also seeking information on parents of Elizabeth Francis - Thomas Francis and Elizabeth (?). I think Thomas Francis's parents may have been Frederick Francis and Catherine Forbes.

Any information appreciated.
Thank you.

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Shelton Family - Beaufort West
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 13 December 15 09:21 GMT (UK) »
I have managed to find, on familysearch, a baptism for a child born to James Shelton and Elizabeth Catherine ? - James ErnestShelton b 12/9/1903. He was baptised at St. Alban the Martyr Pretoria, and they lived in Klipriver.  James Snr was a mason.

There is another baptism for a John Gerald Brabaut Shelton 15/3/1900 in Aliwal North - born to James and Kate Shelton.  This James was also a mason.

Not sure if these are of any help, but your Shelton's are not easy to find!
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 13 December 15 11:04 GMT (UK) »
This is the estate file for James.  The death notice should give you the names of his parents.  I see that this is a Transvaal file as well.

DEPOT     TAB                                                                   
SOURCE    MHG                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 0                                                                     
SYSTEM    01                                                                   
REFERENCE 12049                                                                 
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          SHELTON, JAMES.                                                       
STARTING  19080000                                                             
ENDING    19080000                                                             
REMARKS   SURVIVING SPOUSE ELIZABETH CATRINE SHELTON (BORN FRANCIS
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline BiancaTW90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 November 19 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I am also researching the surname Shelton. My great-great-grandmother was Mary Shelton (possibly born in the 1870s/early1880s in the Cape Province). She had a sister named Margaret Shelton (born 1889-1894 in the Cape Province). They lived in Woodstock Cape Town. I'm not sure if there were other siblings. I am trying to find out who their parents were.

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 December 19 06:38 GMT (UK) »
I have managed to find two possibilities - a Mary who was born in Nottingham England and who married a William Ernest Turner.  There is also a Margaret who married an Emile Danster.  Neither of the marriage certificates have a Shelton as a witness.

What was the name of your g/g/g/ grandfather?
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline BiancaTW90

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 01 December 19 13:20 GMT (UK) »
I have looked into Mary Shelton and William Turner but unfortunately it is not my Mary (I found their estate files). Margaret Damster is my Mary's sister. I have found information on the Damsters but no further information as to who Mary and Margaret's parents could be. Margaret remarried and both marriage records state that she was born in the Cape Province. Mary's husband, Vincent Ryan, died at a young age. I was told by a relative that she remarried and had a son named Samuel. There is no further information though. I have no idea what her surname could have been when she died so finding a death record has been difficult.