Author Topic: 295 Siege Battery, RGA, WW1  (Read 594 times)

Offline mikecharles49

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
295 Siege Battery, RGA, WW1
« on: Tuesday 08 December 15 11:46 GMT (UK) »
For info to past responders and anyone who can assist:  by using British Newspaper indexes, I found a local report re the death of my g/father 80340 Corpl Alfred William Charles, KIA 260917, under X Corps, 39 Division, at Armagh Wood east of Ypres.  He was a signaller, and the report states that he went out under fire to repair some telephone wires when he was hit by a shell and killed instantly ... so now I know the cause of death.
       The report says that the family received tributes from his captain, Capt. Wilson, and his C.O. Major Mossop.
I gather that the battery had about 260 personnel, split into two sections?  Would they have had two captains, and Mossop be in overall command of the battery?
       Tributes were also received in Hull from Lord Nunburnholme, Colonel Lambert White, and
Colonel Easton.   Any clarification or comments would be welcomed, to add to my knowledge.
Many thanks, Mike.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 295 Siege Battery, RGA, WW1
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 December 15 19:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mike

This is available - http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Deptford-Divisional-Artilley-1915-1918/dp/1845740823/ref=as_sl_pc_ss_til?tag=thebritiarmyi-21&linkCode=w01&linkId=&creativeASIN=1845740823

A typical brigade was under a Lt Colonel. There would be four batteries per brigade. A Major was CO of the battery with a Captain as second in command. The battery would consist of six guns, ie three 2-gun sections. Each section was under a Lieutenant.

From 1914-18.net -

http://www.1914-1918.net/whatartbrig.htm

Which says that the signallers would be Brigade staff. In your case the major may have been in temporary charge of the brigade, or your man was allocated to a battery at the time.

Ken

Offline mikecharles49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ken, much appreciated.  However, I did not make clear that I was referring to the Royal Garrison Artillery (RGA) rather than the RFA, to which the Deptford 39th refers to.  In late 1917, 295 SB fought under the 4oth Heavy Artillery Group, part of X Corps, under the 39th Division of Plumer's 2nd Army.   So many parts!  However, I will take a look at the make-up of other units as there will be similarities for the Artillery; sorry for the confusion.  Cheers, Mike.

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 09 December 15 13:11 GMT (UK) »
No confusion. I could not find a similar link for the RGA. You could try firepower.org. But they will probably charge.

Ken